Vent Relocation Through Joists

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggrimes

Reaction score
This is my first post here. Hope I explain clearly. We are remodeling our kitchen. I removed the bulkhead over the kitchen cabinets so we can install taller cabinets. I was aware of the large drain pipe before the demo of the bulkhead. I was not expecting to find the 1.5" vent line for the kitchen sink sink. See attached picture.
I have removed the vent line and plan to run it through the joists. The joists are 2 x 10 measuring a tad over 9" high. I understand the code that any hole must not be drilled within 2" of the upper and lower edge and that the hole can not be bigger than 1/3 of the joist height. In this case I can't go bigger than a 3" hole. I will drill a 2 1/8" hole for the 1.5" pipe. My question. The joist does not end on the wall plate shown. It continues out beyond the wall 2 feet. The second floor extends beyond the first floor 2 feet. Do the drilling rules change for a cantilever joist arrangement. I could not find anything in the building code. Thank you

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

Latest posts

Back