Vent pipe smells

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmorrisk2j

Reaction score
We had a couple major things done at our cottage and ever since we noticed a strong sewer gas smell from the roof vent pipe. Like 100% pure poop very often… very gross. It is definitely coming from the roof pipe.

We never noticed the smell before the major thing (detailed below). We’ve been dealing with this by putting a carbon filter (Sweet-Air) on it and it works well but we remove it in the winter as I heard it can freeze and block the vent system. (It is in Quebec Canada (-20 and below often enough)).

The first big thing was we had our traditional septic system field with a new Enviro-Septic System. The old system was old but the biggest issue was that the previous owner paved over the septic field! Learned this on home inspection before we bought and got purchase price reduced. Because of the space constraints we couldn’t put in a new traditional field and opted for Enviro Septic.

The second major thing that happened around the same time was we had bathroom put in the basement with a new macerator ejector pump.

Hoping to see if there is any cause for concerns (and potential ways to address them) or if this smell is ordinary and we just need to deal with it or if there are any solutions.

We had a couple major things done at our cottage and ever since we noticed a strong sewer gas smell from the roof vent pipe. Like 100% pure poop very often… very gross. It is definitely coming from the roof pipe.

We never noticed the smell before the major thing (detailed below). We’ve been dealing with this by putting a carbon filter (Sweet-Air) on it and it works well but we remove it in the winter as I heard it can freeze and block the vent system. (It is in Quebec Canada (-20 and below often enough)).

The first big thing was we had our traditional septic system field with a new Enviro-Septic System. The old system was old but the biggest issue was that the previous owner paved over the septic field! Learned this on home inspection before we bought and got purchase price reduced. Because of the space constraints we couldn’t put in a new traditional field and opted for Enviro Septic.

The second major thing that happened around the same time was we had bathroom put in the basement with a new macerator ejector pump.

Hoping to see if there is any cause for concerns (and potential ways to address them) or if this smell is ordinary and we just need to deal with it or if there are any solutions.
Also to note, both were a couple years ago…

How often do you use the "new" bathroom get used, I have an ejector in my basement
We don't use it all that often so I pour straight simple green in there it acts as a degreaser I don't have a smell , not sure how septic works but isn't there a vent in the yard for this system????

Plumbing vents on the roof are open to the sewer/septic system, so the air coming out of it will smell like, well sewer(aka poop). But the vents are to be located away from windows and openings, so the smell should be going up, up, and away. Where are you when you smell the sewer? What does the area around the house look like; wooded, on top of a hill, in a valley, etc.? How high is the vent above the roof?

It isn’t used too frequently as we are not there too often.

I’ll look more into this simple green you mentioned.

Yes there are vent(s) in the yard.

How often do you use the "new" bathroom get used, I have an ejector in my basement
We don't use it all that often so I pour straight simple green in there it acts as a degreaser I don't have a smell , not sure how septic works but isn't there a vent in the yard for this system????

Plumbing vents on the roof are open to the sewer/septic system, so the air coming out of it will smell like, well sewer(aka poop). But the vents are to be located away from windows and openings, so the smell should be going up, up, and away. Where are you when you smell the sewer? What does the area around the house look like; wooded, on top of a hill, in a valley, etc.? How high is the vent above the roof?
I figure the smell might be normal… it’s just we never smelled it prior to the new septic.

I added some picks for reference.

The vent isn’t too high off the roof, I’d say about 1.5 feet and definitely doesn’t extend past the peak. Adding the filter (pictured) extends it another foot or so.

When I take the air filter off in the winter I put on an extension of another 2-3 feet which makes it close to the peak. … I wasn’t sure if this was a good idea or not but doesn’t really seem to help regardless (feedback appreciated… could it be making it worse? Should I make it higher?)

We notice the smell all around, probably depending on the wind but there might not be any noticeable breeze and we still get pretty pungent odours often enough… that being said, sometimes it doesn’t smell but it does more than not … often enough that it is an issue.

I smelled near the field pipes and never smell really anything… definitely smell it on the roof.

On the West there really isn’t any obstructions, just the water and a few sparse trees.

The cottage is elevated, probably about 15-20 feet up from the waterfront on a steep embankment.

There is probably 30 feet of flat land between the cottage and the beginning of the embankment to the water.

The north of the cottage, as you can see in the pics, are tall trees. There are also a wooded area on the east that separate the road from the cottage.

There is probably 40 feet of flat land (this is where our septic is) between the cottage and this wooded area.

On the south side there are a few trees, a fence and another cottage.

Thanks for any feedback, really appreciated!

IMG_1917.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg

Maybe dry run a coupling and another foot of pipe and see if that helps. I see your other vents are up high.

Maybe dry run a coupling and another foot of pipe and see if that helps. I see your other vents are up high.
That’s what I have for the winter but still notice the smell. Should I try and make it higher?

I have Odor HogVents on mine that have a charcoal filter. Works great.
I have a SweetAir charcoal filter and it works well and does the trick.

I had looked at reviews and other information regarding charcoal vent filters and found recommendations on removing it winter.

Do you or anyone else have input on this?

Any filtering device that covers the open vent can, in the winter, become blocked. The water vapor in the warm moist air coming up from the sewer can freeze in the filtering media and block air flow.

What is the diameter of the vent pipe?

I have a SweetAir charcoal filter and it works well and does the trick.

I had looked at reviews and other information regarding charcoal vent filters and found recommendations on removing it winter.

Do you or anyone else have input on this?
I'm in Texas and have not had a problem in winter.

I’m not sure. I’ll try to figure it out next time I am up.
How high is it from the roof to the top of the pipe approx.
So the pipe extension I had put on is quite a bit longer than memory served and does extend past the peak of the roof. The extension is 3’, the vent stack is 8”. The pitch is 4/12 and the stack is 64” from the peak (on the hypotenuse) so I calculate it to rise 24” above the peak.

We were there this last weekend and didn’t smell anything for the first two days but caught a couple bad whiffs on the last day.

Attachments

• IMG_9368.jpeg
    IMG_9368.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
It may not be compatible with the cold in your region, you may want to try the comment above. ''Put a 180 on top of the vent and see if that helps.'' Please don't forget to write updates. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back