Vent Mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieMor

Reaction score
In my house there are a number of plumbing vents through the roof. All look to be 1-1/2". One is for a toilet, shower and garage floor drain. It became clogged so I went up on the roof and ran a hose down it until the obstruction cleared. From what I could tell, the obstruction was deep, probably at the Y of the vent riser.

For a few days everything worked fine. Then I hear the shower drain gurgle after flushing the toilet. The water had once again been sucked from the P-trap so the vent must be clogged again.

Any idea why the vent became clogged so quickly? I just want to know before I go back on the roof and do a repeat.

The reason I think it's the vent is because it keeps pulling the water out of the shower P-trap. But what I don't get is how, after clearing the vent and running a hose on full for at least 5 minutes after it cleared, how did it become clogged so quickly? If I go through all that snaking and vent gets clogged again, I'll not be a happy camper. So before I jump back in, I want to figure out why the vent became clogged so quickly.

The best I can tell, the garage floor drain is the end of the line, then the shower drain, then the toilet. After that it goes to the laundry room and kitchen sink, both have their own thru-roof vents.

I have no idea where in that first run they installed the vent. And I'm assuming they installed a Y rather than a T at the vent. But this was Florida, 1964.

Latest posts

Back