Vent for kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

I am modeling a kitchen in my basement. There are a few vents nearby. Not sure which one would be the best for a sink vent in the pictures?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6095.jpeg
    IMG_6095.jpeg
    789.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6089.jpeg
    IMG_6089.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 1
We need a little more information than these pictures provide. I'm assuming that 4" is your main waste stack, but perhaps it is strictly a 4" vent line through the roof with no other drains connected to it, only vents. And is the 2" line strictly a vent, or are there other drain connections flowing into it from upstream?

The photo below shows the drain where I annotated 1. with arrow photo in my question, so it splits into two different bathrooms in first and second floor. There is also another vent under the stairs that goes to the third bathroom. I am modeling it by this wall. I am not sure if these vents go to the roof or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
As there is a wye at the top basement ceiling, that line is not a vent, but rather a waste line.

You need to understand the difference between a vent line and a waste line before you go much farther. Your original question was asking for the best place to vent the kitchen P-trap you are planning to install. You first need to indicate to where you were planning to drain the kitchen sink?

And to do that, you need to know what lines in your house are waste lines and which are solely vent lines.

Hi again
It has been some time. :) I was running some tests to figure out which is which.

The one which I annotated 1 with arrow looks waste pipe as it carries waste from two bathrooms. This is the closest pipe where I want to install kitchen.

So I think I can use this pipe. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Can I do it myself? Like cutting and placing a t shape pipe?

Thank you

I don't want to sound mean, but you may want to hire a plumber for this installation.

To answer your "Can I do it myself?", that depends on the ordinances in your local jurisdiction. Many places require the contractor or plumber to pull a permit for renovations. A homeowner cannot pull a permit in my location.

There are many fittings that look like a "t shape pipe", but they are not interchangeable. And a sink needs a drain AND a vent, so more piping will be required other than the drain into the waste stack.

From your questions, you may not have the knowledge yet to tackle a job like this. Again no offence meant.

I don't want to sound mean, but you may want to hire a plumber for this installation.

To answer your "Can I do it myself?", that depends on the ordinances in your local jurisdiction. Many places require the contractor or plumber to pull a permit for renovations. A homeowner cannot pull a permit in my location.

There are many fittings that look like a "t shape pipe", but they are not interchangeable. And a sink needs a drain AND a vent, so more piping will be required other than the drain into the waste stack.

From your questions, you may not have the knowledge yet to tackle a job like this. Again no offence meant.
Thanks for quick response!
You are right. I need to hire a plumber.

Hi again

I found a different spot to install the kitchen sink. It is next to the bathroom that I will be installing like in the first image. It is an air vent. Vanity sink and the kitchen sink will share the same drain like in the drawing.

Do you think this will work for a kitchen installation?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 0
Maybe, but you still need a detailed drawing showing the drains and the vents to be sure. Like how if the shower vented?
Please see the image. The one which is black cover should be where the shower drain is located. I think these shower, toilet and vanity drains are connected under the concrete.

Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Install the tee for the kitchen sink below the lavatory tee innthe stack.

Hi 👋

I did draw something that illustrates the above scenario. Do you think this is the right approach?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 0
Back