Vanity rough-in

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edee_em

Reaction score
I am working on plumbing the drain rough-in for a sink I bought for my powder room reno. I understand the guidelines of drains being roughed-in at around 17/18” but I was thinking about doing something different, if allowed.

The sink we bought has an open shelf at the bottom (see photo) and the floor of the enclosed cabinet, which is where the p-trap would be located, is about 17” from the ground. That means the drain would have to be installed at around 18 1/2” oc or higher to clear the cabinet bottom.

At this height, however, the trap would sit below the cabinet floor. They did put in a 7x9” cutout in the floor of the cabinet to allow the trap to go below the floor of the cabinet but then the trap might be visible when enjoying the new toilet. I am trying to make the trap invisible, mostly for aesthetic reasons. Also, keeping it a bit higher (in the cabinet) will make it easier to remove the trap for cleaning. Father time has left me less flexible these days…

Because I am plumbing for this sink from scratch, I am planning to put the drain at 20/21” oc to the subfloor. Is this allowed? Is it allowed given the hot and cold supplies are at 21 ½” oc from the subfloor. Also, if allowed, what issues down the road might I run into?

Thanks

th.jpg

The only reason to rough in a drain at a specific height is to allow it to attach to a specific cabinet/bowl combination. If your cabinet and bowl will work with a 21" drain rough in, then there is no reason not to rough it in at that height.

Latest posts

Back