Utility sink smell... Motor and trap question Please help.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pex is connected to existing 3/4 copper and connects to main septic line.
See attached.

a.jpg

b.jpg

there's part of your problem, line is connected to the side of pipe and not the top.

being on the side, crap runs back into the pipe , in to the top, it cant run back.

that hose needs support, looks a little kinky

if 3/4 pipe is distorted, it is actually a 1/2'' pipe at that point

FPTwyJS.jpg

Frodo, possibly you are right, but there are two issues.
1) It is hard to re solder that joint, as the whole setup is inside the build in closet
2) I believe the smell is of gasses and it caused by air vacuum, not the actual "crap" that might as you mentioned entered the soldered extension.

Frodo, your reply sparked an idea, what if I install a second check valve right by septic pipe entrance, and pex all the way down to pump? Please see attached. This is probably less painful thing to do from all of the choices. Is it possible to install two check valves on single line? Please advise.
Thank you!

b1.jpg

You know it could be that a little of that crap Frodo mentioned is what is keeping your swing check open. Going into the side of a sewer pipe isn't the best idea I've seen.

I've been busy at work on projects and couldn't visit the forum as much as I would like to.
Now that the check valve is in place and some pipe replaced, have you tried a thorough flushing of the pipes and the pump?
I'm not confident that by adding another check valve where you indicated would do much better, but if you have the time and the money, you could give it a shot in the same manner that you already piped below the sink.
Filling up the sink basin with a good amount of water, adding a citrus type cleanser and letting the pump flush out this lines may give you some results if there is build up from years of use. Even a treatment of the drain that the discharge pipe connects to probably wouldn't hurt.
Choose your products carefully, though, if your waste goes into a septic tank.

After many hours spent on the smell issue... answer was simple and obvious. It was evil clothes washer by Frigidaire that produced the foul odor. As I read they are known for that issue and there even was a class action lawsuit concerning smell. I would not go that far, but I found an article that explains how to clean chamber of internal sump pump that collects crap from wash cycles. The smell it produces is nearly identical to sewage., that is why it got me so confused.
Great forum. Thanks everybody.

After many hours spent on the smell issue... answer was simple and obvious. It was evil clothes washer by Frigidaire that produced the foul odor.
Great forum. Thanks everybody.

I hate that. Spending a lot of time trying to solve a problem and the problem is entirely something else. Glad you got it solved.

Is that one of those Front loader washer. I heard tell of those front loaders holding a little water between loads and it ferments and ends up stinking.

That's not good. Hope it doesn't make your clothes stink.
Do you have to double dose your cologne/deodorant ?

Latest posts

Back