Utility sink drains slow then faster - What's going on?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShadySprings

Reaction score
My utility sink next to washer drains real slow then seems to pick up speed as it drains for about a minute. Is there any meaning to this?
I've poured draino down but didn't do anything.
Thought I'd check here before I call the plumber out.
Thanks

I've seen a few sinks that do have a clear drain but tend to drain like yours.
Water will start spinning as it drains. That initial spin is not there so once it has a chance to develop it drains faster. I've taken my finger and actually accelerated the spin at the drain opening and the water would then drain out faster

it IS vented properly it drains, a blocked vent or no vent would cause the drain pupe to "gulp" just like a 2 litre pop bottle gulps if you pour it out fast ( invert the bottle and see the bubbles ), the vent in this example would be the equivilent now ( using the pop bottle example ) of poking a hole into to allow air into the bottle, a blocked vent will also cause the drain to smell really badly as it will syphon the p-trap ( the vent in THIS example is the equivilent to poking a hole into the syphon and breaking the syphon as air Can freely pass and is not drawn by the displacement of water )

So, its likely not a vent . I would surely not worry about this.

What mr david referrs to is called the "Corriolis effect" in essence, when more mass ( water ) is drawn into this effect that produces a low pressure zone ( the center of the swirl ) and is allowd to gain momentum it will draw faster and create a greater low pressure area.

Hope this helps :)

Ahh, here.... courtasy of google.

co·ri·o·lis ef·fect/ˌkôrēˈōləs/
Noun: An effect whereby a mass moving in a rotating system experiences a force perpendicular to the direction of motion and to the axis of rotation (influencing, for example, the formation of cyclonic weather systems).

it IS vented properly it drains, a blocked vent or no vent would cause the drain pupe to "gulp" just like a 2 litre pop bottle gulps if you pour it out fast ( invert the bottle and see the bubbles ), the vent in this example would be the equivilent now ( using the pop bottle example ) of poking a hole into to allow air into the bottle, a blocked vent will also cause the drain to smell really badly as it will syphon the p-trap ( the vent in THIS example is the equivilent to poking a hole into the syphon and breaking the syphon as air Can freely pass and is not drawn by the displacement of water )

So, its likely not a vent . I would surely not worry about this.

What mr david referrs to is called the "Corriolis effect" in essence, when more mass ( water ) is drawn into this effect that produces a low pressure zone ( the center of the swirl ) and is allowd to gain momentum it will draw faster and create a greater low pressure area.

Hope this helps :)
Thanks,it does both. Sometimes it gulps and it seems like its having a hard time getting down the drain.
Is the only access to vent from the roof down?

fill the fixture completelly and then pull the plug, if it "gulps" then it COuld be a vent issue. if so then I would ikely install a Auto air vent on the branch as The vent is likely not accessiblle.

The real question is " does theis draining affect you in an adverse way " ?

if No then i wouldnt stress it .

Latest posts

Back