Using septic effluent for subsurface irrigation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinecoaster

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in an area where we have water supply problems and have been suffering through complete outdoor water use restrictions for a number of weeks each year.

As I explore ways to overcome this, I have been thinking that I could use my septic effluent to subsurface microdrip my lawn. (Another option I'm exploring is drilling an irrigation well but that's going to be costly $20k CDN)

My current septic system is setup with a 900 gal tank, which leads to a 2nd 900 gal tank, which leads to a 650 gal pump tank and a pressurized field with 6 runs 40' long.

My question is around what kind of filter I would need to install/maintain in order to use the effluent in a subsurface microdrip system and not get clogging.

Any thoughts, ideas, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

one man's opinion, Short answer: No, do not try to filter black water unless you can locate a North american based company who does it for residences. Maintenance and testing would be a bear for residential use.
If you repiped the drainage system for your dwelling to separate toilet outflow, then you could consider a grey water system (still expensive).
Frankly, a good well will likely serve you much better, dollar for dollar.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned with testing but rather ensuring there isn't any sediment in the water to clog the emitters in the drip line. As it would be underground (3") and in the same location as my field it's really about redirecting the black water to feed the grass roots.

one man's opinion, Short answer: No, do not try to filter black water unless you can locate a North american based company who does it for residences. Maintenance and testing would be a bear for residential use.
If you repiped the drainage system for your dwelling to separate toilet outflow, then you could consider a grey water system (still expensive).
Frankly, a good well will likely serve you much better, dollar for dollar.

The major problem with subsurface irrigation is that the roots will grow into the system, and you'll be constantly digging it up to clear the roots out.

You could get an aerobic treatment system (Klargester, etc) and use the grey water from that in a traditional irrigation system, but those aren't cheap either.

I don't think there's any filtering you could do that wouldn't need to be cleaned constantly. Maybe a Triple-O ozone system (without the filter) in your pump tank?

I really don't think there's going to be an easy, low-maintenance solution short of a well.

Install a dedicated washing machine drain if you can. Use this water to water your lawn or whatever.

That’s what I do. I have a pump and basin. When the basin fills up with wash water the pump comes on and distributes the water to a long row of trees that border one side of my property.

No standing water ever. I think it’s still illegal for me to do. 🫶🌈

No, code wont allow black water to be used ( hint, health issues ) BUT grass will eventually grow deep roots to get to the water, just takes time as a process for this is to slowly reduce water useage so they start growing down... another option is to sow grass seeds that are drought tolerant ( zosia, burmuda is a few ) that rood deep and strong, dont require frequent watering and love the heat. As mentioned above, if you can seperate the grey water ( sinks, ect ) onto a seperate line which would involve adding a new system, that water can be used but you also need to watch whats added to the water ( bleach, soaps, ect ) which could kill the roots. A water well, if you can install one would be the best option if not an option look for some poly tanks as big as 300 gallons that are food grade and collect rainwater from your gutters to use for watering plants and yards. The large tanks can be stacked if they have the metal crate and can be covered with Lattice or other materials to disguise them.

Latest posts

Back