Using Oatey Cement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb59

Reaction score
Is it ok to use Oatey cement on the barbed side of a pvc pipe fitting? The pipe is ABS and the fitting is pvc. The cement says its for PVC, CPVC, and ABS. But I wasn't sure if I should put it on the barbed end. The attached pic is similar to what I have but isn't the exact item. Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-160739_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20211206-160739_Brave.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 4
Barbed fittings don’t use pvc solvent
Thank you. I wasn't sure but glad I asked. The only thing holding the ABS pipe to the barbed fitting is a hose clamp. It just doesn't look strong enough to hold it

That type of fitting is made for poly water line, not sure what you mean by ABS. It looks like what I used for underground sprinklers, in that case i just used one clamp, because it doesn't matter if it leaks a few drops. For use where I don't want any leaks I heat the water line and put 2 clamps on with the screws on opposite sides.

That type of fitting is made for poly water line, not sure what you mean by ABS. It looks like what I used for underground sprinklers, in that case i just used one clamp, because it doesn't matter if it leaks a few drops. For use where I don't want any leaks I heat the water line and put 2 clamps on with the screws on opposite sides.
Some dude at the hardware store said the pipe I was dealing with in my basement was called ABS. There was a small leak coming out of well tank. I had never heard of ABS before but it is a black plastic like material. Thanks for the tip on the two clamps. Will be using that one.

When we built our first home I used ABS for everything under the basement floor, not sure why, probably the guy at the hardware store recommended it. I never knew what ABS stood for until now, some one told me years ago it was all black $hit! I have used a lot of black poly water line, it's available in 80 psi to 160 psi ratings. 80 psi for sprinkler lines, 100 psi for water lines from wells into houses, and 160 psi for hanging submersible well pumps on. I've never had a problem with any of it, my dad ran poly water lines all over the farm yard in the early 50's, and they are still being used today.

When we built our first home I used ABS for everything under the basement floor, not sure why, probably the guy at the hardware store recommended it. I never knew what ABS stood for until now, some one told me years ago it was all black $hit! I have used a lot of black poly water line, it's available in 80 psi to 160 psi ratings. 80 psi for sprinkler lines, 100 psi for water lines from wells into houses, and 160 psi for hanging submersible well pumps on. I've never had a problem with any of it, my dad ran poly water lines all over the farm yard in the early 50's, and they are still being used today.
Do they still use poly lines today?

I sure think so, but pex is becoming popular, but folks are having problems with it. Our supply line to our winter home in AZ is pex, and I added a water filter recently, I used the push on connectors. They work well if your tubing is in good shape and you cut it square and deburr it. But the 3/4 x 3/4 npt connectors were $8.50 each!

I sure think so, but pex is becoming popular, but folks are having problems with it. Our supply line to our winter home in AZ is pex, and I added a water filter recently, I used the push on connectors. They work well if your tubing is in good shape and you cut it square and deburr it. But the 3/4 x 3/4 npt connectors were $8.50 each!
I found out that pex or abs or whatever it's called - sure isn't real easy to work with if you get a leak.

Latest posts

Back