using anti-siphon valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, I won't be using sprinklers (drip and bubblers). So, what's the word on running the PVC above ground up and over to a higher location?

I know at my house, my valves are 6" lower than than my bubblers, and they drain down during the night. I guess unless someone gives you a better solution, give it a try and if it drains down, you could remedy it by cutting in a one-way check valve.

So, you plan on not burying the pipe at all? IMHO, that is unsightly and prone to tripping/breaking, but who am I to tell you what I'd do?

Well, I may have to go that route. I can even build a wooden structure to go over it and/or wrap insulation.

This house is built into a hill composed of limestone and granite...digging is NOT fun.

Yeah, like once every 50 years, but right next to the house, it's probably safe. Still, I don't want to build something that inspectors (or future buyers) will look askance at.

I go up there quite a bit. Im sure your City Council would frown on seeing white plastic pipe exposed everywhere. Just a hint, what you can't bury, just cover with bags of DG, gravel, dirt or sand.

I go up there quite a bit. Im sure your City Council would frown on seeing white plastic pipe exposed everywhere. Just a hint, what you can't bury, just cover with bags of DG, gravel, dirt or sand.
Well, it won't be just lying on the ground -- I would attach it to the house. Straight up from the where it exits the house (in the pic) about 7-8', then about 30' to the right, where I'd put the valves, then a return down to where I've dug my stupid trench.

You should read what is recommended for backflow protection, we can't use double check valves in Massachusetts because there is not relief valve like the is on an rpz, that valve when it drips constantly, tells you that a check has gone bad, or you experiencing a lost in pressure, which could cause a cross connection

So, if I install a valve at this lower location, but only run it downhill (to the other half of the yard), I won't have the dripdown problem, correct?

That was a term that havasu used. I think he was saying that if the irrigation outlets are above the valve, the valve will leak.

Based on what people here have told me, I'm considering putting one valve (where it already is in the picture) to service the lower part of the yard, and another valve up higher. They would share a common supply (I mean, eventually everything does, right?), so I don't know whether this would still cause the problem he mentioned.

Yes, as said originally, sprinkler valves are to be installed at curb level. Your only issue is if you plan on using an electric solenoid to activate the valve, you will need to run 24 gauge wire along with the PVC pipe.

Oh my valves will definitely all be automatic (24V); I've already run the wire. What does "curb level" mean on a property that slopes as much as mine does?

Curb level means they are designed to work at the height of the sprinklers. Not 10' above or below the sprinklers, as the residual water inside the pipes will drain out. The next time they turn on, you will hear the air escaping from the empty pipe until it fills with water. Some of the higher priced sprinkler valves may work for awhile, but the water will eventually drain back down to the lowest point.

Here is what the instructions say..."Anti-Siphon valves should always be installed at least 6 in. above the highest head on the valve line, and should never have another valve installed further down the line from the main valve."

Here is what the instructions say..."Anti-Siphon valves should always be installed at least 6 in. above the highest head on the valve line, and should never have another valve installed further down the line from the main valve."
If I'm interpreting this correctly, that means that I can't put a tee in at the water source, and install two valves at different heights? Damn, doing this right isn't easy.

Back