Upstairs Bath Leaking

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Heisser

Reaction score
I have an upstairs Bath/Shower whenever the bath water is run it leaks a small amount of water onto the downstairs ceiling, it doesn't leak when the shower is run. Any idea what could be leaking? There is no access to the back side so if it's a pipe leaking going to have to tear out the tile

Sounds like your drain assembly needs a closer look. If your ceiling is wet, cut it open, so you can take a closer look. Also, drywall is way cheaper than tile.

It doesn't leak when the shower is run, so that tells me the drain is ok, it would leak when the shower water drains out

It doesn't leak when the shower is run, so that tells me the drain is ok, it would leak when the shower water drains out
The amount of water per unit time flowing into the drain from a shower-only situation may not be enough to cause the leak to be noticeable. When the tub is drained, there is going to be much more water per unit of time, in effect flooding the drain, that could make the leak more apparent. I had the same thing happen to one of my baths upstairs and the issue proved to be not enough plumber's caulk on the tub drain itself. I removed the drain from the top and reapplied a liberal amount of plumber's caulk and all was well from there on out.

Check your tub spout and make sure the water isn't running underneath the spout into the wall when full force is on.

I had a situation with an upstairs tub/shower like this years ago...The end result was that one of my kids was letting the hand held shower hang down while the water was running and the spray was going into the shower valve escutcheon plate and getting into the wall cavity. That turned into an expensive lesson.

I had a situation with an upstairs tub/shower like this years ago...The end result was that one of my kids was letting the hand held shower hang down while the water was running and the spray was going into the shower valve escutcheon plate and getting into the wall cavity. That turned into an expensive lesson.
Having kids is an expensive lesson. I’m still learning mine

I have an upstairs Bath/Shower whenever the bath water is run it leaks a small amount of water onto the downstairs ceiling, it doesn't leak when the shower is run. Any idea what could be leaking? There is no access to the back side so if it's a pipe leaking going to have to tear out the tile

Check the overflow of the tub and make sure it’s sealed.

Who uses the tub ? Kids ?

Does it leak if you insure no water hits the overflow plate of the tub ? For example, if you just run a tub of water and no one gets in the tub, does it leak ?

Back