upgrading water heater system for more capacity

Discussion in 'Water Heaters and Softeners' started by bikeboy, Apr 17, 2019.

Help Support Plumbing Forums by donating:

1. Jun 17, 2019 #21

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

Do not understand the personal attack when what I said is that you can hook them up any way you wish.

the Reason, that the in series piping diagram shows the 2 to be of different sizes is for efficiency

that is a undisputed fact confirmed by the Ruud co.

2. Jun 17, 2019 #22

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Man...you're something else! Now you just changed your tune since you spoke with Ruud, as I suggested. You hate to be wrong.

No personal attack, just a little frustrating when you originally disputed the fact that they can be used in series if they are the same size and BTU.

3. Jun 17, 2019 #23

frodo

frodo

frodo

Just call me Macgyver Professional Supporting Member

look at post 19, look at the date look at the date and time it was posted.
    the last edit was saturday a hour before you posted ruud is not open on weekends
    so no, i did not change my mind after talking to ruud. They confirmed my point

my position has not changed, the manufacture recommends that the 2 heaters be of different sizes
    the reason is...and i pointed this out Saturday.. because of efficiency

4. Jun 17, 2019 #24

Diehard

Diehard

Diehard

Initially you kept responding with that same quote you copied from Ruud.
    "Series installation uses heaters that are not identical in both BTU input and storage capacity."

Perhaps you should have just acknowledged then that identical units could be used in series, as I was saying.

After I talked about using (2) 50 gal units(that's what he has), in my comment #16, you came back in your comment #17, again with, "Series installation uses heaters that are not identical in both BTU input and storage capacity."

After awhile I just quit reading your post as they seem to repeat themselves and go on and on about things we already know. For example, how series and parallel set-ups are piped, etc., etc. So yes, I didn't bother reading post #19, where you apparently, indirectly acknowledged what I was saying.

Would have been much simpler if you had just acknowledged what I was saying early on. But you didn't. So I had no choice but to conclude that you were strictly going by what you were reading and not completely understanding it.

I mean we were trying to help someone with a situation where he had (2) water heaters of the same size but remotely located. An arrangement that would lend itself to a series arrangement. When you go off in tangents it gets a bit confusing for my little brain.

5. Jun 24, 2019 #25

bikeboy

bikeboy

bikeboy

OK; is it possible to just bring a 1/2" line from WH circuit#2 hot side , and T it into whirlpool tub spiket branch to add hot water to feed tub with WH#1 ? could I just T the two circuits, install a mini tank, or mixer to combine them @ tub's@hot side ?

HR...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019