Unusual Rust ... New Rheems from Home Depot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RehabMD

Reaction score
I purchased TWO (2) Rheem 50gal Electric heaters for duplex rehab. The typical HomeDepot/big box heater that is offered.

Today I discovered both Heaters rusting in the junction box and styrofoam underneath.

Heaters were installed and working last 7 months. Properties have never been occupied, so heaters don't get pushed. Dehumidifiers in each basement.

What gives?

Photo Album Link

Attachments

• 554C52D9-1A11-4081-B91A-5353D4DCCD94.jpeg
    554C52D9-1A11-4081-B91A-5353D4DCCD94.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 9AAFD92F-EEAB-4F62-8FB4-F49D1C3A60D3.jpeg
    9AAFD92F-EEAB-4F62-8FB4-F49D1C3A60D3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 57BADF07-021F-4C50-9B32-5AB1BC04D423.jpeg
    57BADF07-021F-4C50-9B32-5AB1BC04D423.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • E2519E88-8DE3-46B2-B198-F05653654832.jpeg
    E2519E88-8DE3-46B2-B198-F05653654832.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 1494217C-A0A3-4EB2-AAA5-B305B13C27AD.jpeg
    1494217C-A0A3-4EB2-AAA5-B305B13C27AD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 4C5265D6-2110-48EC-9F27-900851AD61F8.jpeg
    4C5265D6-2110-48EC-9F27-900851AD61F8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I assume you purchased them 7 months ago, but recently installed them? I can see them saying you stored them incorrectly, and you will accuse them of improper storage. This will be hard for either to prove. Doesn't sound like a fun position to be in.

A Licenced Plumber. I was on site myself. No signs of rust when they were installed.

However, Ten (10) days ago, Basement Waterproofers CUT the water supply lines to the heaters to move them away from the wall. When they cut the lines, water did splash on the units from above.

Waterproofer is licensed and explained this severity of rust is older than 10 days. Not his fault he says.

Last edited:
There are many possibilities. The good news is you have over 5 years of warranty left.

Monitor them over the next few months.

Are there any chemicals or cleaners stored near by?

I live by the ocean and am thus an expert on rust and what not to use in a house in such humid and salt in the air conditions. I can tell you that Rheem water heaters actually rust the least for me compared to A.O. Smith. So something is really weird in your case. Rheem AC units don't last here. I use a coastal rated Heil for that. But Rheem water heaters are bullet proof in my hot and humid garage with salt in the air!

I think one possibility is that because factories are rushing to keep up with production, they used new suppliers who didn't galvanize the metal well or used the wrong alloy.

Looking at where the rust is and how much, my best guess is that water was spilled over the top and not cleaned out of the electrical box. If there is also that much rust on the back of the access doors to the heating elements, then my second best guess is that there is a leak in both tanks (which is rather unlikely). If it were related to high RH around the tanks, there would be rust on top of the plate over the electrical box.

I think one possibility is that because factories are rushing to keep up with production, they used new suppliers who didn't galvanize the metal well or used the wrong alloy.

Glad to hear your Rheem doing well in the garage. Did you purchase from a big box store? (HomeDepot, Lowes)?

Looking at where the rust is and how much, my best guess is that water was spilled over the top and not cleaned out of the electrical box. If there is also that much rust on the back of the access doors to the heating elements, then my second best guess is that there is a leak in both tanks (which is rather unlikely). If it were related to high RH around the tanks, there would be rust on top of the plate over the electrical box.

Yes! Great point! I never knew you could open an access door to check.

Yes, that's it. Water flows down not up. If the tank had a leak, it would not manifest itself on the top, but would leak out the bottom. The location of this rust is from water that got on the top...somehow, somewhere. Condensation on a pipe? Small leak from somewhere?The tops of water heaters LOVE to collect all kinds of debris, too.

Though I didn't see it on these photos because its electric, on gas models I often see the result of backdraft or condensation from the venting around the vent area...rarely is it wet when I see it, but you can see the stain of what once was a small puddle. Always a thing to keep an eye out for.

Whenever I inspect a home with a dirty water heater, I always recommend cleaning it so the homeowner has a reference point to see if there are any leak or backdraft issues moving forward.

Yes, that's it. Water flows down not up. If the tank had a leak, it would not manifest itself on the top, but would leak out the bottom. The location of this rust is from water that got on the top...somehow, somewhere. Condensation on a pipe? Small leak from somewhere?The tops of water heaters LOVE to collect all kinds of debris, too.

Though I didn't see it on these photos because its electric, on gas models I often see the result of backdraft or condensation from the venting around the vent area...rarely is it wet when I see it, but you can see the stain of what once was a small puddle. Always a thing to keep an eye out for.

Whenever I inspect a home with a dirty water heater, I always recommend cleaning it so the homeowner has a reference point to see if there are any leak or backdraft issues moving forward.
They leak out of the top many times. Just wanted to clear that up for you.

Water takes the path of least resistance and that’s not always down.

Wrong. Water doesn’t ever flow uphill. It may be pushed. Only under pressure but will then flow down. Water flows down. Science.

…and in any case it’s irrelevant here.

Wrong. Water doesn’t ever flow uphill. It may be pushed. Only under pressure but will then flow down. Water flows down. Science.

…and in any case it’s irrelevant here.

If it’s being pushed then it’s flowing, it is under pressure. Water heaters are under pressure from the water supply.

Semantics.........point being is a water heater can and will leak out of the top and not the bottom. The insulation keeps it from going down and it pushes out of the top.

It’s very common and it’s also common for people to argue that’s it not possible......and they’re all wrong.

As I posted above in this thread there are many possibilities.

One possibility is the the inlet or outlet nipples may have had a slight leak.

Over time with a steel tank the slight leak can stop itself with rust.

Another possibility is Heavy condensation from high humidity could be running down the pipes and into the heater. These units have not been used much but they both have same issue and are installed in the same location. So environmental factors must be considered.

The heaters have both been disconnected and water could’ve been allowed to stand in the electrical box.

Many possibilities.......

I’m leaning toward installer error when they were disconnected then my second guess ( because that’s what it is ) would be condensation.

Back