Unsure about well cap markings

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeychooch

Reaction score
New homeowner, first time I've had a well, coming from city water. I took the well cap off and found some markings on the underside of it, but I'm not sure exactly what each means. Can someone kindly explain them each to me like I'm a 3rd grader? See attached photo. Thanks!

IMG_20230322_131835534 (Medium).jpg

Sure. Your well was drilled in May 1988. It is what they call a "Rock Well" since it is 320' deep with only the top 41' cased. The rest is open hole, no casing. The pump is set at 300' and the well makes 3 Gallons Per Minute GPM, which is 4,300 gallons per day. What it doesn't say is the diameter of the casing, which looks to be 5" or 6" or the depth to the static level. Most Rock wells have a high static, so you maybe able to just look down and see the water at 30' or 50'. With the pump set at 300' you have about 1.5 gallons stored in the well from that point up to the static water level. With a static of say 50', that would be like having a 375 gallon storage tank in the well. Should be enough to run more than 3 houses if you want.

Now do you know anything about the pump?

Back