underground Well location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkerpv

Reaction score
I am replacing a yard hydrant that the top had broken off. Luckily the pipe was bent and the long rod could not move up so the rubber stopper in the bottom of th4e pipe was still closed off. While digging it out I finally got to the bottom at 32 inches and realized that the supply pipe was coming from a different direction than where I supposed the pump was located. The house is 30 years old and I bought it from the 2nd owner 11 years ago. Nobody knew where the pump was located. I thought it was located very near this broken hydrant. I followed the direction of the supply line and came to the road just outside my front gate, maybe 100 feet from the hydrant. I remembered a concrete circle pad (12 inches or so) and the line seemed to go directly to it. I began to wonder if the well pump was under the concrete pad. I dug around and the concrete went down at least 6 inches.

I took some pics of the small pad. Can anyone identify this for me. Is it the top of the well casing? the bolts and nuts are pretty rusted and only two are present. I don't think I can get them off. There is a circular groove in the pad. I think it might be the opening with the cap fitting tightly inside. Although in scraping around it i could not find anything that looked like it would come off by prying.

I am thinking about breaking it up with a hammer to find out if its the well pump. two of the pics show the cap. tthe other pic shows one of the bolts/nuts.

Any suggestions.

Attachments

• Resized_20230929_101754.jpeg
    Resized_20230929_101754.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230929_101801.jpeg
    Resized_20230929_101801.jpeg
    653.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230929_101824.jpeg
    Resized_20230929_101824.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 0
That is strange, I wonder if they poured the concrete on top to prevent surface water from getting in the well? Normally a well is supposed to be vented on top. If there is a submersible pump in the well under the concrete, you should be able to feel/hear it running when water is being used. Where is the pressure control switch and pressure tank? I have seen them buried underground around the casing, but it's not very common. Ideally the casing should be extended above ground level a foot or more to prevent surface water from getting in. You could do this with a short piece of casing and a no-hub connector. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

The pressure control switch and tank are located in my basement. 100 yds away. Do you think its ok to remove the concrete cap? I will have to break it up with a hammer.

I sure would, but you need to have a plan on how to seal it again, until you get it extended above grade. Plastic bags and electrical tape would work for short term. I would dig down farther and try to figure out exactly what you have, being cautious for the wires, usually when a submersible pump is installed the wires come out the top of the casing. After you extend it, you may need some protection around it, considering it's outside your gate. the circular ring on top may have been to hold a flowerpot in place, they put it there when the concrete was soft?

If that is the well with a submersible pump in there you should be able to feel vibrations when standing on that concrete when the pump is running. If so, then yes I would break up the concrete, add additional casing to get it at least 18" above grade, and use the proper well seal or cap. Not going to be an easy job. I am afraid someone just poured concrete over the well head as it was below grade and they were trying to seal off any water intrusion. There is also no good way to service the pump when needed. I would hate to be the pump guy who was called out the that job. I would spend more time getting the concrete off than fixing the pump. 18" above grade or above the highest water mark is required in most states.

As RS said, make sure you find the wiring too. If that is the well, someone has made a real mess of it, but it is definitely worth getting straightened out and fixed up right before the well pump fails, which (given Murphy’s Law) is almost certain to happen in the middle of a blizzard.

is the well on your property? Seems odd that the supply line for the hydrant runs directly from the well for such a distance.

Back