Under-mount sinks are falling

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBH99

Reaction score
I am a new resident of an eight year old high rise condominium with about 150 condos. All of the condos came with under-mount kitchen sinks. At least 15 of the kitchen sinks have fallen/detached from the countertops in the last 8 years, sometimes leading to broken pipes, water damage, and insurance claims.

So here are my questions:

1. - How long should a properly installed under-mount sink "last"?

2. - This is potentially going to sound stupid, but based on 15 out of 150 sinks falling in the first 8 years, do you believe the sinks were likely improperly installed? Or, is this just part of "homeowner maintenance"?

The condos were completed at the beginning of the recession. About 40 of the condos were pre-sold and have been lived in by owners. The remaining 110 condos were rented out by the Declarant (a bank) until the real estate market returned to a level where they felt they could make a profit on the condo sales. Until recently, the Declarant had control of the association, but it is now controlled by the homeowners association.

Never once in the last eight years was a notice or mention made of the sink issues in a newsletter or in meeting minutes.

3. - Can you think of any reason why the Declarant would not want this information to come out?

The solution to "fix" this problem is pretty simple. For the life of me, I can't understand why nothing was ever said or done (the Declarant had a professional management company running the place). It just doesn't add up... It seems like both the Declarant and management company were/are risking lawsuits by their respective inaction. There must be a reason, and I can't figure it out. I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas you have on this matter.

Thank you!

Properly mounted sink will never fall. And to be honest, in 10 years in the trade, I have not ever saw one let go.

One thing I have saw some companies do is put a board that matches the cabinets under the sink bowls going side to side, then screwing to the cabinet. Just extra support I guess

An apartment property company in my area quit using undermount sinks with their granite tops because of this exact problem.

It takes a decent amount of time and work to install an undermount sink correctly, and with multi family housing such as apartments or condos, corners tend to get cut.

Thank you for your thoughts Matt and Phishfood. Please keep them coming everyone.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back