U By Moen Smart Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVJoe

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

New to the forum but wanted to contribute. I recently got one of the new Moen smart faucets that can be controlled through Alexa/Google. I did a review of it and in true DIY fashion also recorded an install video. Figured this would be useful for anyone considering a smart faucet.

Review:

Install:

Alexa, call my insurance agent.
My new smart faucet turned on by itself with the sink stopper in, while I was at work.

last year I installed a cheapy brand “no touch” kitchen faucet for a customer. At some point during the day, they think the cat jumped up on the counter while everyone was at work and activated the faucet. Unfortunately, the stopper was in the sink soaking some dishes, and this faucet didn’t have a shut off timer like the good brands. That faucet ran for hours and completely ruined everything on the main floor and basement. When they were able to move back into the house, I was back to install a name brand faucet without the no touch feature.
There are just some things you don’t need in a faucet. As much as I push for Moen products, this seems completely unnecessary

The nice part about the faucet is you can set a timeout. So if you are worried about the sink overflowing from the sensor you can set a timeout for 1 minute. You could use the sensor for hand washing. The sensor is in a pretty good spot, a cat would have to be hanging off the top of the faucet for it to trip. I could also see a cat playing/brushing up against the physical handle and the same thing happening. It might even be easier for a cat to hit the handle since a lot of faucet handles are just over counter height. Since the Moen has a water by wire design you can also set a timeout for the physical handle. You go away on a vacation and leave the cat home and you are not sure if the stopper is in, you can remotely set one minute timeouts from the app. That would give the person that might stop by taking care of the cat just enough time to fill a water bowl. They would also see water in the sink with the stopper in.

You can view the water usage from the app too. So if you are really paranoid around the cat turning on the water (handle or sensor) you can see in real time how much water is being used from the device. Or even see how many times a day the cat is hitting it.

You might even want to set an alarm so if the water does go off from the handle or the sensor you get an alert and can shut the water off remotely.

One other option for you would be to disconnect the wire from the faucet body to the control box. It's just a headphone wire. This would disable the faucet completely. Thats a lot easier than turning off the hot/cold water connections below, especially for people with hard water and those valves are seized up/hard to turn.

Lot of options that you didn't have previously.

Bah, Humbug !
Everything backed up with batteries.
Including our expanded currency, I hear they're using 9v batteries for that

Lot of options that you didn't have previously.

How many options do you need in a faucet?

- Provide tempered water
- Use handle your turn on and off
- Spray function if you’re picky

Beyond those 3 basic functions, all that crap about no contact and timers and Bluetooth stuff is just rubbish

...and, no more toilet paper, with the RotoWipe! 16 9V batteries
AND if you act within the next 8 minutes, we will include, at no extra charge, The RotoWipe! Cleaner & Sanitizer, 8 AAA batteries, and a free 4 ounce bottle of RitoWipe! Clean & Sani!, that's a $59.95 value, but you just pay shipping and handling. of $11.99.

Prank Pack Roto Wipe - Standard Size Prank Gift Box

LOL. Just figured I would show you guys what was out there. Just like all technology, some will want it and others will be slow to adopt it or never will.

I am still waiting for Bluetooth toilet paper.
No need to check it for skid marks after the first few wipes, your smart phone will signal “All Clear!”

Do what you like Jeff.
As for Me, I'm not letting anything with blue teeth anywhere under me kilt.

last year I installed a cheapy brand “no touch” kitchen faucet for a customer. At some point during the day, they think the cat jumped up on the counter while everyone was at work and activated the faucet. Unfortunately, the stopper was in the sink soaking some dishes, and this faucet didn’t have a shut off timer like the good brands. That faucet ran for hours and completely ruined everything on the main floor and basement. When they were able to move back into the house, I was back to install a name brand faucet without the no touch feature.
There are just some things you don’t need in a faucet. As much as I push for Moen products, this seems completely unnecessary
Matt, I just installed a expensive Delta no touch the other day and it doesn't shut off on its own until 4 minutes is up. A small kitchen sink may over flow in 4 minutes.

I have installed the delta ones too.
On a standard size single bowl sink they would be fine. But you’re right, the odd size shallow bowls would be an issue if left unattended

They should put a dial or control on the electronics module to let people choose the cut off timeout.

Or better yet, turn it off if the sensor that detected the user in the first place doesn't senser any more.

Latest posts

Back