Two water heater system with return lines going to the opposite water heater

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerfloyd

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two hot water heaters, both with recirculating pumps that are activated by a single switch. It was only when I had to shut down one water heater due to a leak that I realized that the return line of the left water heater returns to the right water heater and vice versa.

Is there any reason why this would be done purposely? Are there any issues keeping it this way since both recirculating pumps are turned on/off at the same time anyways?

Thanks for any input!

Lauren

IMG_5365.JPG

Essentially., it sounds that the tanks are installed so that you have twice the Storage tank of the hot water., Say., one Tank pilot went out., Both tanks will be being heated thru the one good tank., so that you still have 2 Tanks filled with hot water.

Essentially., it sounds that the tanks are installed so that you have twice the Storage tank of the hot water., Say., one Tank pilot went out., Both tanks will be being heated thru the one good tank., so that you still have 2 Tanks filled with hot water.

It appears that it’s set up as two independent hot systems and they simply mixed up the returns.

They have two pumps in one loop.

Last edited:
They are indeed two independent hot water systems. I assumed they mistakenly mixed up the return lines. I was just wondering if there was reason they would do this on purpose

Don't get me started with the gal - one elbow failed beneath the slab, and luckily it was in the only room on the first floor with carpeting as opposed to hardwood/tile. We have some rust in one of our lines and dreading the fact that we'll have to repipe in the future.

Thanks for the input -

Lauren

Latest posts

Back