Two smart heating controllers on one network

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidLedger

Reaction score
I'm looking into installing Nest / Hive / ... devices to control two independent boilers in a Village Hall with one broadband network connection.
The two boilers handle the main hall and an annex. They are not connected to each other at all.
As a computer consultant who has been working with networks since 1984 I can see a problem with getting two such devices working through on one broadband connection unless there is a separate server linking each controller device with the remote app or (ideally) computer web browser.

I have msg chatted to Google Nest support who just say it should work but are not prepared to send me an email saying that it will.

Does anyone know if the above is possible?

Each device independently contacts the cloud server, so there is no conflict. I do not have multiple nest thermostats, but I do have multiple nest cameras, and they all work just fine with my Nest thermostat and my Ring doorbell. I guess I don’t understand what you think the problem is going to be.

Each device independently contacts the cloud server, so there is no conflict. I do not have multiple nest thermostats, but I do have multiple nest cameras, and they all work just fine with my Nest thermostat and my Ring doorbell. I guess I don’t understand what you think the problem is going to be.
That is the only way I could see it working. Google Nest support told me that there is no cloud server which is why I was concerned. I can understand 'chat' support not understanding the details of networks but they should have known that there is a cloud server.

Can I assume that Hive, or others also use a cloud server?

There is some functionality that I'm not sure is available. I've attached a pdf that gives our requirements. Any comments would be very helpful. The main things I'm not sure of are its use as a scheduler and the resetting of the temperature setting at the beginning of each booking. I don't know anyone who has one of these sorts of systems.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• controllerRequirements.pdf
    32.1 KB · Views: 0
Google Nest support told me that there is no cloud server which is why I was concerned. I can understand 'chat' support not understanding the details of networks but they should have known that there is a cloud server.
That's just wrong, someone needs retraining. You can't even find anything with local control any more, everyone wants to lock you into their cloud service, so they can monetize it.

[My experience is with Nest, I assume others ahve similar capabilities]

You can set daily schedules for each day, so if you want to set the temperature to 60 degrees every Sunday at midnight you can do that, for instance. You can also say "Have the hall be at 65 degrees by 10AM every Saturday" and that'll work. If you add a schedule item for "this Friday" it'll repeat every Friday, so you'll have to manually remove it.

> Ideally not to rely on third party services such as Google or on any third party app.

As above, hard to find any more, without going to commercial or industrial systems, and then prices get astronomical, and if you don't have cloud services, then static IPs and DDNS and port forwarding and user training and support are going to eat your lunch.

Hey, look at that! /*Locking your Google Nest thermostat prevents people from changing settings or changing the temperature outside of a restricted range with the thermostat.*/

Also note that Nest thermostats just pull straight off the wall, so unless you trust that no-one will decide it'll work better at their house than at your hall, you might want to think about physical security.

Sounds like an interesting project!

Thank you for these answers, and the hint about physical security. I can now ask a professional to install them with little to no possibility of them not working. An interesting project indeed.

Latest posts

Back