Two Sewer lines

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFEagle

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home with a septic tank system. I have a drawing with the line layout. At one of the home is the main line going to the tanks, however, the last few months I have noticed 2 small (12"E) pools of water at the other end of the yard. The only things I have on that side of the home is W/D hookup, basement shower and toilet. Neither of the items are backing up. when I mowed the backyard, and mowed that area, I did not notice a sewer smell but more of an old water smell. The pools of water do not get larger or show signs of shower usage as water is spent, however, the remaining yard is dry (for what its worth, alot of rain). I am confused as to what is causing the small pools of water, the area in between the pools is getting mooshy as if there is a leaking pipe in the ground. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated, Thank you in advance.

Perhaps it's a dry well for grey water such as from that washing machine. They tend to get clogged up with soap grease and stop leaching.
Can you tell from inside the house if the drain lines are connected and/or which way they leave the house?

Last edited:
most likely the washer drain is run out into the yard
this is typical for country plumbing in the county

if you really want to know. mark the wet spot
then refrain for using the washer for a week, let the ground dry out
then dig up the spot you marked.

Perhaps it's a dry well for grey water such as from that washing machine. They tend to get clogged up with soap grease and stop leaching.
Can you tell from inside the house if the drain lines are connected and/or which way they leave the house?
Thank you for responding. No I cannot, my basement is finished, I will watch the pools the next time we wash clothes. If it is clogged, what is the easiest way to clean it out?

most likely the washer drain is run out into the yard
this is typical for country plumbing in the county

if you really want to know. mark the wet spot
then refrain for using the washer for a week, let the ground dry out
then dig up the spot you marked.

Thanks for responding, I will watch the area the next time we wash clothes, what is the best way to clean it out?

the pipe is most likely ''day lighted''
that means when it was installed, the end of the pipe can be seen at dirt level
I ASSUME over the years, grass has it covered up
Get a probing rod [ piece of pipe] to use to poke in the ground. poke poke poke
around till it hits the pipe

aftr you find it, if the wet spot is bothersome
I suggest you build a dry well.

2.jpg

Thank you for responding. No I cannot, my basement is finished, I will watch the pools the next time we wash clothes. If it is clogged, what is the easiest way to clean it out?
Well first off you should find out if it is, in fact, a dry well. They were very common in my state back in the late 50's. I don't know when they were outlawed but don't think they're allowed any more, in most states.

The one I had the equivalent volume of about 1000 gallons. Picked up everything but the bathroom.
Many people poured "acid" down to temporarily open it up. However, that didn't last long and of course it is against the law to pour acid into a system that leaches into the ground.

It was customary to replace them with precast concrete leaching tank. I doubt that would still be allowed.

When mine went, I rerouted that line to my septic tank, as is the requirement in most states with a few misc exceptions allowed.

You should find out what your local codes allow and go from there. Once you find out exactly what it is, of course.

Latest posts

Back