Two kitchen sink drain inspection questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan2hua

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forums and want your big help.
The city inspector disapproval two things for a kicthen sink drain. See the attached picture.
1. I use a loop to do a Studor vent, this loop will be better than directly put the Studor under the counter top. Please see if this loop create any problems.

2. Why must use "T" and couldn't use "Y" for the connection to drain.

Thanks for all of your advice
Yan

for questions to the forum.jpg

I can't see anything that is gained by using the 3 part loop for the vent. And, condensation could build up in the center leg of the loop and block off the vent.

The wye and 1/8th bend combination fitting that you used could potentially prevent the trap from receiving air from the vent in high flow situations as the water flow could jump across and hit the back wall of the fitting, completely choking off the air flow.

You would be better served by cutting all of that out and using a sweep 1/4 bend to turn out low into the cabinet, then another to turn back vertical after the cabinet is installed. Then stack a sanitary tee on top of that, attaching the trap to the side, the AAV to the top, as high as possible.

this would fail code, phishfood is on it with his first statement.
and again on his second, it is effectively an S trap as the pipes fall exceeds its diameter it would be subject to syphonage.

you would save pipe, time and money by his 3rd statement, though I believe he meant to say a 1/8th bend ( 1/4 is a 90 and cant be used in a dwv unless its a horizontal to vertical run )

With regards to what ?? curious what you're meaning.

referring to the 90 ?? if so then I'd clarify that in our code you cannot use a 90 below flood rim of a fixture, but can use a 90 sweep to go from a horizontal branch into a vertical stack, though it is always preferablle to use 2 45's for less restriction .

I just realized in the Op's picture that this would also fail because the 2" pipe enters a 3" by means of a bushing, there must be a way to clean the piping and in this case there must be a 3" cleanout .

Last edited:
in drainage?? this seems odd to me since the reason we are to use 2 45's is to increase the sweep of the direction change and offer less turbulance. ( not saying you;re wrong here.. just that the logic presented seems to escape me )

can use pretty much whatever you like for Vents, as long as you dont trap them .
:)

Back