Two bids for 4" crawl space drain through exterior wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikieboyblue

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have two different bids for installing a 4 inch drain pipe from the crawlspace through the exterior block and brick veneer wall drained to daylight. This pipe will be used for water heater drain, incidental water in the crawlspace collected by an interior french drain, and discharge from water treatment (softener).

The first proposes to go through the block and brick above grade to a 90 then below grade and the second proposes to go through below grade boring the hole through the footer (I presume) of the at least the brick veneer and is not clear if it will also go through the footer of the block or actual block (no interior excavation has been done). Both are 5 inch holes. My concern with the below grade approach is integrity of the footer although I have been told this will not be a problem. It is about 18" from a corner.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience in this space?

Thank you in advance!
Mike

I know people in warm, year round climates, do things above grade. This is not advisable even in warm climates. That's my opinion.

I know people in warm, year round climates, do things above grade. This is not advisable even in warm climates. That's my opinion.

Yes. This is a warm climate (NC). The drain would almost never have any standing water and be burried about 4-6 " below grade until exposed to daylight due to natural slip of terrain. Let me get a pick of the outside.

This photo roughly shows the two proposals. Best I could draw it.

Attachments

• 20210619_143702~2.jpg
    20210619_143702~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
If you can go under I would. To do that real and proper there are some things that should be done. Not sure you /they would want to do them. Through looks like it could be tough.

I would go under. Use a steel sleeve that is longer than the width of the footing. Should be good enough. Technically when you go under a footing the sleeve should have concrete poured around it.

For my education when I go back to the contractor, if still wanting to go through, that wouldn't compromise the footer?

I realize I'm not communicating this very well. Basically a compromise to enlarging the footing and going through is to go under. If you go directly under the footing should also be enlarged, but we are compromising and using a sleeve as if your more than 4' under.

Or you can go above. But it's not my favorite.

Yeah, I was studying those drawings. I can't go 4' under. That would be excessive and never be able to drain to daylight. There is also a gas line burried in the area as well. Excavation on the inside to 4' below would be very hard too (it is a tight spot with existing plumbing nearby and about 24" W of work space).

As to not compromise the footer, I think the only way is above through the wall resulting in a short run of PVC exposed just out the wall and then straight burried (kinda like a sump line sometimes is when not below grade). I don't want to put a pump on this either.

It's a rental apartment so trying to keep it within reason. I also have trouble getting contractors to actually do the work after a bid. Sad state of affairs.

My NC home had a 4”corrugated drain pipe below grade, from a low spot in the crawl space. All appliance and utility drains above grade to daylight.

I encapsulated the crawl space, had a sump installed and a pump replace the gravity drain.

I have about a 15' drop in grade from front of house to the back and then another 2' to the edge of the wood line or 8' to the edge of the property line so a gravity drain is perfect. I have thought about having a company come and encapsulate the crawlspace as well but again rental property and can't get crazy. I plan to relandscape and that will help divert the water that is soaking into the clay and coming through the brick layer between the footer and block foundation wall (in the front) that I gather is not sealed and the brick mortar joints being porous let it right in! A bit of an interior french drain at least gets the water out.

Latest posts

Back