tubs leaks only with a bath

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaykay

Reaction score
I have a rental property and the tenant has been taking showers for years and took a bath for the first time, and voila, water leaked down into the living room onto the first floor below. So, I did a complete test: removed the access panel and checked everything behind there-hot and cold feeds, drain underneath, and of course, the overflow. The tub was filled as high as it could be filled (over the overflow of course) and not a drop. With the test, everything was replicated except having an actual person in the tub. Now, of course, the obvious reason is that she splashed water over the side, which is a distinct possibility, but she said she didn't and in fact, this same thing happened to the previous tenant when she took a bath. And again, this is only with baths, showers are not a problem at all. Any thoughts?

I think you have to get in the bath tub to fully test it.haha..from my personal experience.i always find that the tennant overflooded something and dose not want to take the blame.

What's in it for a tub surround? What's it condition? Could it be possible water splashes on the back wall and leaks thru that way?

What you describe is often caused by caulk failure where tub front apron meets the floor. Re-caulk and see if leak stops.

Back