tub to shower conversion

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b5rider

Reaction score
Hi,
I need to figure out how to plumb my new shower. I need to remove the overflow drain from the old tub and attach the new shower pan to the existing drain. All of the couplings are too close to cut off and attach new ones. I also have to contend with the existing vent. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201117_223229.jpg
    20201117_223229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20201117_223206.jpg
    20201117_223206.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20201117_223229.jpg
    20201117_223229.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Major work is required.
Is the drain even 2"? Shower drains are required to be 2"

You may have to cut off more pipe to replace it and set it up. They sell shower stalls that have drains in about the same spots as tubs, but they require 2" drain minimum instead of 1-1/2". You'd have to get rid of the tub shoe & overflow (assuming there's an overflow).

When you take out the tub's plumbing, you can put in a new 2" P-trap at an angle to get it to line up with the vent better. So long as you have a 4" (minimum) trap arm to the vent it should work. Looks like you'd be cutting it close. Turning the P-trap slightly to the side/diagonal, might give you a bit more room. You'd have to measure & see the size of the new P-trap.

So it sounds like I would have to cut off the majority of the couplings and basically start over. Thanks for your input! I'll keep you posted

Yes. I would cut directly above or below that highest joint (higher would give you more wiggle room). You could put the sanitary tee on at an angle so you might not need so many bends for the trap arm (but you will still need at least 4" of trap arm length). So, we're looking at you needing a 2" ABS coupling, straight run of just ABS pipe, ABS 2" trap, shower drain kit (brass is usually good), ABS combo wye, and 2" ABS sanitary tee. The type of drain you get depends on the type of shower you're installing.

The plumbers here could probably give more specifics. I'm more of a DIY person who has been learning from them here & trying to learn how to do this stuff since I'm renovating my home. I'm changing out a bath for a shower too so I've researched a bit.

Latest posts

Back