Tub Spout Diverter problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyboy

Reaction score
An interesting problem.

When I bought my house the tub spout diverter wasn't working properly as it would not always stay up and when it does it would still let through a lot of water to the tub. As it was old anyway I replaced the whole set up with a new shower head, mixing valve and a tub spout with its diverter.

It worked only a little better and over time it got worse again. After a while a got sick of it and said "ok I am going to solve this once and for all" by just putting a valve in between the mixing valve and the tub sprout. Doing so completely shuts of the water flow to the tub spout and all water is now diverted to the shower head.

The water came out properly so I thought I was done.

No so: because now the water temperature only rises to lukewarm. Here is where I get lost as, in my mind, I just replaced the functionality of the tub spout diverter with a valve. And this should not have an influence to the water temperature.

So theoretically this result does not make any sense and your help is much appreciated.

I removed the mixer handle to see if it did not open the hot side enough but no increase of temp while opening it further. The vanity gives still hot water like it used too.

John

Sounds like the hot side may have a slight restriction or the temperature limit needs to be adjusted.

Please see the picture. It looks like there is no real hot or cold side. It has hot in and cold in and in the small central part is where the mixing happens.

Main mixing valve.JPG

Last edited:
That's a moen valve. Remove the black handle adapter and post a pic so we can see the temp limit control. If the temp limit is set properly you might have some debris lodge in the cartridge hot side.

With the valve as is in the pic place the black plastic handle adpter on the catridge stem and turn the stem 3/4'' counterclock wise to see if you get hot water.

I had to turn it almost 160 degrees to get hot water and only very little came out. Looks like the cartridge needs to come out. I am getting educated now by looking at all the Youtubes. They are using diy tools to get it out, whuch I tried also but no luck. Would Lowes or HD sell a special tool for that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0okT6ONNFU

Wow, I got it out using a modified spark plug plier. See pic it needs a gap of 14 mm which fits right into the cartridge. Than just carefully wiggle it till it starts turning. Than you can start pulling with any plier.

The cartridge looks good to me. The only thing I don't hear is the, as in the video named, the "internal pressure equalization mechanism" would that be the issue or do I just don't have that feature?

IMG_2287.JPG

Last edited:
I take that back I got that mechanism out and its all in a vinegar solution now to clean overnight.

By the looks of it and the fact it's already pulled I'd replace it.
Those black rubber pads are usually a attached to the cartridge.
Make sure you get the right size replacement bacause there are a couple different ones and grease it before putting it in.

Conclusion:
My conclusion of this issue is that two things went wrong at the same moment. When I put the valve in the soldering must have caused the faucet the fail.

I put the faucet back together (after greasing it up) and all works fine now.

I learned a lot THANK YOU ALL.

Back