Tub overflow gasket fit

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel_T

Reaction score
I am struggling with trying to get a new beveled overflow gasket I purchased. The varied bevel thickness seems correct. The inner diameter of the gasket is the exact same as the diameter of the hole in the tube (see picture) - I assume that is the size it should be. What is giving me trouble are the little posts that are sticking out around the drain (see picture). The drain does not have enough give to push it far enough back to get the gasket over the little plastic posts. In all the online video/pics I do not see a drain that has these posts (as well as the single screw hole in the center). One of the posts is already broken off - is there any reason that I should not snap off the other three? If they were not there I think I would be able to work the gasket in place. I don't see much purpose in those posts other than keeping the gasket from shifting inwards.

The old gasket was really dried out and fragmented so I am not sure if I am even using the right kind of gasket. I have not seen any others that would work, so I assume this beveled gasket is what I should be using.

Any help / advice would be much appreciate.

Thank you.

zM4FZ08

p2.jpg

Have you thought about taking it apart underneath the tub or is that out of the question. Looks to be a pvc overflow and shoe. If so, should be relatively simple to disconnect under the house, put the gasket on and put back. OR replace the whole overflow and shoe to a newer model. Btw, when I say simple, I mean for someone that has done a few. No disrespect in any form. Should just be compression nuts under the tub to be able to disconnect things easily.

Have you thought about taking it apart underneath the tub or is that out of the question. Looks to be a pvc overflow and shoe. If so, should be relatively simple to disconnect under the house, put the gasket on and put back. OR replace the whole overflow and shoe to a newer model. Btw, when I say simple, I mean for someone that has done a few. No disrespect in any form. Should just be compression nuts under the tub to be able to disconnect things easily.

Thanks for the reply. I do not have great access. I could get to it through some drywall that I would have to cut away. It would not be out of the question, but I would prefer not to have to cut through the wall if it can be avoided.

Sounds like your in a rock and a hard place. Plumber snugged everything together nicely with no room for play. Something needs opened up to replace the gasket if not the whole assembly. Wether that be the ceiling, which if it's wet. That's be my first choice. Or the drywall I'm the adjacent bathroom and create an access panel.

Sounds like your in a rock and a hard place. Plumber snugged everything together nicely with no room for play. Something needs opened up to replace the gasket if not the whole assembly. Wether that be the ceiling, which if it's wet. That's be my first choice. Or the drywall I'm the adjacent bathroom and create an access panel.

What issue would there be if I broke off the 3 remaining little plastic posts on the drain? If they were not there I would be able to fit the gasket in.

Was something screwed into them? Looked kind of useless to me. Not really sure of there purpose.

I am struggling with trying to get a new beveled overflow gasket I purchased. The varied bevel thickness seems correct. The inner diameter of the gasket is the exact same as the diameter of the hole in the tube (see picture) - I assume that is the size it should be. What is giving me trouble are the little posts that are sticking out around the drain (see picture). The drain does not have enough give to push it far enough back to get the gasket over the little plastic posts. In all the online video/pics I do not see a drain that has these posts (as well as the single screw hole in the center). One of the posts is already broken off - is there any reason that I should not snap off the other three? If they were not there I think I would be able to work the gasket in place. I don't see much purpose in those posts other than keeping the gasket from shifting inwards.

The old gasket was really dried out and fragmented so I am not sure if I am even using the right kind of gasket. I have not seen any others that would work, so I assume this beveled gasket is what I should be using.

Any help / advice would be much appreciate.

Thank you.

zM4FZ08

View attachment 17201
gerber is one of the most common waste and overflow kits....have you did you bring your gasket to a plumbing supply house....

gerber is one of the most common waste and overflow kits....have you did you bring your gasket to a plumbing supply house....

Thanks for the reply.

The old gasket was pretty much disintegrated. It was dried and all cracked in pieces so I did not have anything to show anyone or try and find a duplicate of.

Is the overflow drain I have a gerber? I just googled for the gerber gasket and see this:

https://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Gerber-91-150-Tub-Overflow-Gasket-173543.asp
http://www.lasco.net/waste-overflow...er-wo-beveled-washer-p-3985.html#.WtnsPS74-Hs

The rings around the gasket look like they match the rings on the drain. Would this be a better fit than the generic one I got from Lowes? Would it be thinner so that I am able to get the gasket over those little posts?

for 3.50 i would give it a shot.....if you go to a plumbing supply house you will have more gasket you can look at to gauge what you think would work but try the gerber one all your gonna lose is 3.50 if doesn't work

We ended up having a plumber take care of it. All he did was push harder on the drain to get the gasket to fit in. I was worried if I pushed to hard I would break something. I guess that is the difference between experience and no experience. I overflowed the tub just to make sure it worked and nothing was damaged. All good.

Latest posts

Back