Tub overflow drain seal issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik63

Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to stall an overflow drain in a new tub and when I dry fit the wedge seal against the overflow drain the seal is not even. If I try and get an even seal, the pipe is no longer vertical. I contacted the tub vendor, but they have no technical knowledge of their product, they just recommended a different drain which will not work for me. Does anyone have experience with this issue, I was thinking of using a flexible pipe, or is there a thicker wedge seal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

overflow.jpg

Your line that’s labeled vertical looks out of plumb to me.

The pipe looks vertical as you’re holding it in the pic

I don't see any issues with that set up. The overflow doesn't need to be perfectly level. Water needs to fall down onto the trap. As long as that can happen you're golden. And it won't be visible.

Your line that’s labeled vertical looks out of plumb to me.

The pipe looks vertical as you’re holding it in the pic
Thanks twowaxhack, the vertical line was actually measured with a square relative to the floor.

Thanks GReynolds929, there are actually two problems I am running into, first is that if I don't get the pipe to go straight down then the drain fitting will not sit flush since the tee forces it to 90 deg. The other issue is the mating to the exiting drain after the tee, if it is not straight I can't glue them together. Oregon's code requires me to glue abs to abs for non-accessible drains, so I cannot use a flex coupling.

I’m not there and can’t see everything you have going on there but here’s a solution that will solve your problem.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Watco-F...MItY-GytmNggMVUcnICh2p8A4XEAQYASABEgI7c_D_BwE
Thanks for the reply, yes I have seen that one, I just wish it came in a black finish to match all the other fixtures. I can use the one I have and replace the overflow tube with flexible PVC. My concern was that the house has ABS sewage and heard that the transition cement was not approved by code. So I was wondering if anyone else came across this before.

Back