tub has black water what can i do now

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alyssa2372

Reaction score
I looked all over the internet and cannot find what I need to do now. I have a 2 story house with 2 bathroom and a septic tank. Well the bathroom upstairs is not working. First the shower was slow to drain then the same day the toilet backed up in the tub. It was clear water but it took a while for it to drain out of the tub and the sink is draining in the tub to .we snaked the bathroom all of it and we found nothing so I called a plumber, he snaked it to but there was nothing. After the plumber came the water that would back up in the tub is a yellow brown and has an odor to it. So we went on the roof and snaked out the vent but the water in the tub would not drain so we stopped doing the vent. And now the water that comes up from the tub is black. We had the septic tank cleaned out a few weeks ago, I have done all that I can thank of and I do not know what to do now. Oh and when you turn the water on to the tub the toilet will bubble if that helps. All advice will be welcomed.

The yellowish brown water is waste and/or rust coming from your drain piping. Sounds like your tub drain need cleared, the p-trap may be full of build-up from the stoppage, have the tub drain cable. If the upstairs bath (all drains in the bath) stops up again I would have the plumber pull the toilet in that bath and run a cable down the toilet drain.

the plumber has pulled up the toilet and snaked it but there was nothing he also snaked the tubs drain. can the septic tank back up in the upstairs bathroom? the down stairs bathroom is good.

I wonder if something is not properly vented and it is causing buildup? Just a thought. I have no idea.

that is what I am thanking so we are going to do the vent again I hope it will help. I do not want to cut the floors and walls.

I would just about bet that you have a clog in the drain. How many feet and how large of a head did the plumber use down the toilet drain line?

This is the bare minimum drain cleaning machine for that type of job. http://www.draincables.com/RIDGID_K_400_Drum_Machine_W_C_31_3_8_X_50_Cable_p/rg26993.htm

It needs to have at least a 2 1/2" head, something like this. http://www.draincables.com/3_4_X_2_1_2_ROUND_BLADE_W_TEETH_p/bl632.htm

If you don't have that big of a head, then you aren't doing a proper job of cleaning the pipe. A small bulb head will often pass right through a soft blockage without you even knowing it, and won't clear it.

Back