Tub filler threads "non tapered thread"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remodeler

Reaction score
You guys are so good around here, I figured I would throw another one at you.

I am installing a Cheviot model #5138 tub filler in the vertical wall. I thought I could simply screw it in a 1/2 drop ear elbow with a pex connection and keep on rolling. Well of course it couldn't be that easy.....the tub filler has a 1/2 male threads that are non tapered. How do I fit that on to all these NPT threaded fitting that I have? Is it standard for faucets to be designed this way?

Ultimately I would like for it to 90 degree down and end up to a pex fitting. I am running out of room between the studs because the tub filler arms are 2 1/4 long. But I will try anything. Thanks for you time!

First thing, I wouldn't run PEX to a tub spout. The fittings will restrict the flow, and cause the shower head to drip even when the tub is being filled.

About the spout. I don't have any personal experience, but I am wondering if this spout uses a proprietary nipple, and seals with an O ring on the outside of the nipple.

There is no shower tied in with the tub filler. The cold and hot copper pipe feed is 1/2 inch.

Can you remove the nipple from the valve

The valve (tub filler) may require 1/2'' supply lines (clawtub supply lines)

Thanks phishfood. I finally had a chance to sit down and take this in again. The instruction sheet they sent with the faucet, of course is not the same as the one you gave the link for. And they don't reference the 1/2 inch npt on mine. Thanks for digging up that PDF and pasting it!

So, if the tub filler supply line is 1/2 npt, then couldn't I use a wing 90 That has 1/2 fnpt to screw it into? That way I could put it to a stringer for some good support.

What y'all think?

Hey IFIXH2O. What are those "clawfoot supply lines" you were talking about? This thing may have been originally designed for a clawfoot tub.

Remodeler, I did not catch the vertical wall mount in you first post, I though you where installing the valve on a clawfoot tub, 1/2'' clawfoot tub supply water lines are to be used in an open area. I agree with Phishfood that the valve should screw into a drop ear 90 (wing back 90). There is a possibility that the valve may have a high pitch sound when open to full port using the drop ear 90 (wing back 90).

Well y'all, I got a lil piece more of the puzzle. I haven't had time to research yet, but I finally found someone from the manufactor that did some digging for me. The spec sheets from the manufactor or not correct. The faucet input lines are 1/2 NPSM non tapered. All I know so far is that stands for national pipe straight mechanical. I have to hook this to 1/2 copper pipe.
I have thought all this time that I was a idiot for not being able to figure it out, but apparently the manufactor is just as confused. Well... I am still not sure how to pull it off with a in wall connection.
Can anyone please help. My do it yourself confidence is getting slim!

Not to be sarcastic, but Delta, Moen, Kohler, etc, have valves that hook up to industry standard piping. If it is this difficult getting proper direction on how to mount this valve, how easy is it going to be for the homeowner to get parts and support 10 years from now?

Yeah man I gotta say if those guys can't even tell you how to install their own valve there's something wrong. I agree with phish. And I haven't heard of such a thread. Just NPT, or parallel which aren't tapered and don't seal. your best bet may be to buy a delta or moen.

Remodeler, Google Plumbingsupply.com/push fit. Find the Brass Female Spigot Adapters towards the bottom of page. I think this will work for you. (Look for the portable one). (Your Valve is really design for a clawfoot tub installation)

Believe me.....if I hadnt had already dropped big $$$$$, it would have been thrown in the bayou by now.

iFIXH2O, I can't follow that link to find what you were talking about.

What about a 1/2 swivel FPT with a pex barb on other end? Would that be silly to put in the wall and never see again?

What about a 1/2 swivel FPT with a pex barb on other end? Would that be silly to put in the wall and never see again?

I would not use that fitting. Find the Plumbingsupply.com, Go to the letter J -- in J look for John Guest push connect fittings -- click on that, GO toward the bottom of page to find Brass Female Spigot Adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks IFIXH2O! It looks like the right animal to make this happen. I ordered it and it's on it's way. I appreciate you time and your help. Thanks again!

No Problem -- Good Luck, hope everthing works out for you.

Back