Tub drain location

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kungfuthug

Reaction score
My MAAX new town 6032 ifs shows the drain to be 10” off the front wall and 15 off the side wall. That is where I roughed the drain to be. Now I get to thinking... won’t the overflow bring the whole drain assembly closer to the front wall? I am unfortunately going to have to go back into the dirt and dig some more? Am I wrong?

Aren't the drain and overflow all one assembly in the tub? Their directions and dimensions should take all that into account.

My tub came in a box with nothing but the tub. No overflow and drain parts included.

I think the overflows go straight down to the floor drain and the tub drain gets the 90 degree turn into the wye. I am not sure if I can re-orient it to be straight down from the tub drain to floor drain and then a 90 on the overflow?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Generally on a tub rough we stop the pipe short until the tub gets set. That is when you go back on the finish and hook up the over flow and the trap.

Fair enough, it is too bad that the tub manufacturer specified the floor drain placement to be stubbed up where it now clearly should not.

Every tub/overflow assembly I've seen (not a large sample, though) was built as a single unit, with the overflow draining directly down to the drain, usually located 4-5" away from the tub drain, behind the edge of the tub. I just removed a 23-year-old American Standard tub and it had such an assembly. The drain stub-out was located at the edge of the tub. Googling "bathtub overflow and drain" images gets you a few hundred very similar fixtures, so all in all, I'd say your first thought "get back in the dirt" is correct.

Back