Tub Drain Issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaxz

Reaction score
Hello, I have an upstairs tub with an OS&B manufactured drain that has a leak from the underside. It has had a small drip since it was installed and the area is a real pain to get into from in the basement. The drain seems to only drip when the tub is full and someone is in it.
Recently I removed the drain from the topside of the tub, re-puttied the flange and thread taped the threads. It is now leaking worse when the tub is full and someone is in it.
I attached a few pictures, the one marked up with arrows shows the following: **Red arrow indicates where the first original drip was coming from - not on the fitting but close to it (not sure if the drip was moving from underside drain to where the red arrow indicates?
**Green arrow indicates where now faster leak *appears to be leaking*.
**Hand drawn red line appears to what could be a stain in underside body of the tub.
Based on this, any suggestions on what I can do to repair this?

Thanks

Pic_2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Do not put tape on those threads. You will restrict the mount you can tighten the shoe down.

Thread it back out, re-putty the top. Make sure the rubber underneath is on a flat surface (a lot of fibreglass tubs need sanding around the drain) and tighten it down good. Don't be afraid to put some muscle into it, you want to draw the rubber up against the bottom of the tub.

Back