Tub drain issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 32707

Reaction score
Hello, all. Our bath tub drain is slow lately. A disposable razor blade cartridge fell off the handle and went straight down the drain... I have tried running a snake down, but it seems to only go along the horizontal pipe from the drain--it doesn't go down anywhere. I have thought of somehow running a magnet to grab onto the razor blades, but I'm not sure that would work.

What would be the best way of either fishing the cartridge out or obliterating it so the drain will go back to normal?

I should add that the cartridge is not visible, I can't tell how far along it has gone.

Do you have access under your tub? If not, I'd recommend purchasing a lighted endoscope, which connects directly to your cell phone. It cost me about $25 from Amazon, and has a 6' lead, so I can use my camera to easily identify where within the pipes the razor is located. From that point, you can use small bailing wire or flexible rod grabbers, which can be purchased for about $5 at Harbor Freight.

1698339327661.jpeg

I actually have one of those grabbers already--awesome! Great idea about the lighted scope--I had no idea they were that easy to get or that cheap. I'll give that a shot. Thank you!

I would fill the tub to maximum height. then remove the overflow plate and block it very well with a wet rag rammed into it with a screw driver then get into the tub with a very good rubber plunger and plung as hard as i can. the trick is to make a seal quick and back slow over and over again . at some time look at the drain to see if you pulled and thing back. also to see if the drain is running free and clear.

I’ve used a shop-vac with 5/8” heater hose duct taped into the inlet of the shop vac hose then slide the hose down the overflow and suck “ things “ out of the p trap.

Latest posts

Back