Trying to unscrew Hammond 546 gate valve internals from brass fitting

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donatello

Reaction score
It's the gate valve for the hot water to shower, can only get a 1/2 turn. I wanted to unscrew faulty internals out of the vertically mounted one and swap for internals from identical good valve I have. Problem is, it won't budge. I thought of hitting it with a torch but I don't want to melt the solder. I was first going to try unscrewing the nut at the valve stem and spray penetrating oil and let it soak. What do you think. I'm obviously no plumber, but I do work on cars so I am somewhat mechanically inclined. Thanks in advanced

Penetrating oil is nonsense product in my experience. Gate valves are obsolete in most instances and we have come to abhor them over my 50+ year career. They readily break, or become so stuck not worth any effort.
So, we are insistent on getting rid of them at the first instance of an issue.
Lever handle ball valves have stainless steel balls, teflon seats and are a dream in comparison

Looking at the design, I could see why they work well when new, but can understand mineral deposit buildup over time. The stainless steel ball with teflon seats of the other style valve appears like a no-brainer for replacement. Without a professional of many years pointing this out, I wouldn't have known...
I appreciate your time, Thanks breplum

Latest posts

Back