Trying to buy a house, need input on this.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhunka23

Reaction score
I'm trying to buy a house and this is in one of the photos. Going to view it Sunday. 1980 house in Alberta. Wondering what it is and what I've got to deal with to fix it, or if I should pass on this house

Screenshot_20170502-212152.jpg

Screenshot_20170502-212159.jpg

That looks like your water meter.
Looks like they wrapped a towel around it because it was probably rattling and banging on the drain stack.
If that's all that holding you back, that can be fixed.

Find out where you water is coming from and try to plan on replacing that blue handle valve for a quality ball valve.

Around here, Meter are normally at the curb or property line.
Anything before the meter belongs to the water department.
With exception to townhome communities with sub meters inside the units garage with a main meter for the community.

Judging by the discoloration of the pipes below that towel I'd say that that pipe is leaking and the towel is there to soak up any leakage. But we won't know for sure until you check it out on Sunday.

Judging by the discoloration of the pipes below that towel I'd say that that pipe is leaking and the towel is there to soak up any leakage. But we won't know for sure until you check it out on Sunday.

It's a leak.

It's a leak. Have them fix and install full port ball valve (1/4 turn) like Mr_David said.

woooooo. up.

if you want that house. then, hire a 3rd party house inspector
tell him you want
the AC/heat system inspected and verified it is in proper working condition
check freon level,
the condition of ducks
same with the plumbing. i would advise you to have the sewer videoed
same with electrical
termite look see and dry rot

Latest posts

Back