Trouble Replacing Bathroom Faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewHomeGuy

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought a home and moved in a couple of weeks ago. I bought 2 new faucets for our dual vanity in the master bedroom today and was trying to remove the old ones and ran into trouble. There's a large nut at the bottom that I can't remove under the knobs. I'm not sure if it's welded or not, but I've been struggling forever trying to get it off. I managed to loosen the washers under and above the counter and was able to loosen the knob but cannot remove it due to that nut at the bottom. Please see pics below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DSCF2677.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

DSCF2687.jpg

If you remove the flare nut (the smaller one at the bottom), could you get a deepwell socket in there on the nut?

If I remember correctly, the lower nut under the sink is stationary. Loosen the nut above it (against the bottom of the counter) and the upper portion will be able to be removed by unscrewing it from the top, allowing the lower portion to drop away from the counter. I may not be exactly right, but once you spin down the upper nut, you should be able to figure it out. One thing I remember is that it was a little tricky installing.

Once you remove the old unit, do yourself a favor and replace the old flexible copper supply line with a new stainless braded supply line. It's cheap insurance that will last you several years.

If I remember correctly, the lower nut under the sink is stationary. Loosen the nut above it (against the bottom of the counter) and the upper portion will be able to be removed by unscrewing it from the top, allowing the lower portion to drop away from the counter. I may not be exactly right, but once you spin down the upper nut, you should be able to figure it out. One thing I remember is that it was a little tricky installing.

Once you remove the old unit, do yourself a favor and replace the old flexible copper supply line with a new stainless braded supply line. It's cheap insurance that will last you several years.

I tried to unscrew through the top last night but wasn't having much luck with it. It does seem like that large nut on the bottom is stationary. I secured the rod with a pipe wrench and then tried to loosen that nut with a basin wrench but couldn't get it to budge. I was able to get those washer nuts that are on the top and bottom of the sink loose, but that was it. I was trying to see if I could some how rip off the top of the knob and then get the rest to drop through on the bottom. I'll have to repeat this 3 more times b/c i'm replacing the faucet on 2 sinks.

For the copper supply you suggested to remove, were you referring just to this? I believe the new faucet came with new flexible tubing to replace with.

copper.jpg

I personally would just lift the faucet up like you have in the picture and cut the thing in half with a hacksaw or sawzall, then 5 minutes later your headache will be gone. Just my opinion take it for what you paid for it.

Look at your first picture, is that a set screw on the left hand side that may be keeping that end piece fron unscrewing?

I'm with Chris. After expending 5 minutes trying to remove that old faucet, I would loosen it as much as possible, and sawzall it out. Just don't damage your counter...be careful. As far as the supply lines, most faucets only provide flexible hoses in order to connect their product, but normally doesn't include supply lines because there are too many different sizes available.

It appears as though the bottom nut has a set/lock screw in it. See if you can get an Allen (hex) key wrench to fit into that little hole in the back of the nut. I would bet that if you can get that set screw out, the nut will come off.

Myself, I'd have had the Milwaukee cordless Sawzall out after 15 minutes.:D It's not like you are going to return the old faucet for a refund.

Edit: Oh, and often faucets come with braided stainless supply lines that will attach to the supply stop valves. If they are long enough, they are great.

Last edited:
Look at your first picture, is that a set screw on the left hand side that may be keeping that end piece fron unscrewing?

Nope, that's where a small hose was connected to. No screw in there. I'll go with the saw method.

Latest posts

Back