Trouble Removing a Shower Handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
So there's a significant leak in my shower and I'm trying to remove the water pressure/temperature handle so I can replace the cartridge and any gaskets and such. Problem is I can't get past the handle

The handle itself has a cap at the pivot point to take off and a long screw to take out. Once that's done, the handle pulls right off and then I'm stumped the head that's left doesn't have a screw in the side to remove, and the head itself has a start and stop point. The arm sticking out of the wall that the head attaches to has a ridge and there's teeth behind the head that'll hit it, so it doesn't unscrew as far as I can tell. Also, it's difficult to look down the screw hole, but it doesn't look like there's any screws or fasteners to remove at the bottom. I've tried sticking allen wrenches down there and nothing will catch. I've also tried pulling as hard as I safely can, shaking it to get it to come loose, but it won't budge. Tapping it from behind does nothing. Prying? The wall moves, but not the head. Currently, I've sprayed a can of 3-in-1 oil (penetrates rust, lubricates, and cleans) on the rear-inside and down the screw hole. Waiting to see if it yields any results, but thought I'd get some suggestions.

If anyone has any experience on this, I'd love to hear about it. I can't find any articles or videos on YouTube that show how to remove this type of handle.shower 1.jpeg shower 2.jpeg

This looks like a Moen Posi-Temp cartridge. That little "bump" (tab) looks very much like that brand. The "bell" part that is stuck on there needs to come off. I've found that "PB Blaster" usually works in this situation. Give it a shot, let it "rest" about 10 min, and try again. Thread a bolt/screw back into the valve stem and tap gently while pulling the "bell" outwards. I'm afraid if you tap directly on the brass stem it will "mushroom" and make the situation worst.
Google Moen cartridge image to verify after removing rest of handle. Then You Tube to see how to replace.
REMEMBER TO SHUT OFF WATER FIRST!

Roger that. I'll go for the PB Blaster if the stuff I just used doesn't work. I appreciate the info and confirmation that the bell's supposed to pull straight off. Just wish it wasn't being so stubborn.

Latest posts

Back