Trip lever drain and associated plumbing removed and replaced

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakumboakum

Reaction score
Back in 2016 I noticed that the drain trip lever in the upstairs bathtub was not stopping the water. The bucket was rusted onto the tee assembly. I went into the attic and found the bathtub was completely enclosed by framing. I cut out a small section of 1"x 6" framing and was able to get into the small area and access the bathtub plumbing. A small section of the floor was cut out for the bathtub plumbing. Unfortunately, the tee was too far beneath the floor. I couldn't get a wrench on the tee nut for the trap and the tee nut for the shoe. I realized that I would have to cut the ceiling drywall to replace the shoe and tee. I didn't want to do that so I was resigned to have a non-working drain trip lever in the upstairs bathtub.

Last year my nephew told me that the drywall ceiling under the bathtub was blackening. I suspected that the cartridge in the shower/tub valve was leaking. I replaced the cartridge and the leak stopped. My nephew, his wife, and child moved into their first home shortly afterwards so I left the ceiling replacement for a later date.

This year I replaced the resin in the water softener and the house once again had soft water. I decided it was time to replace the damaged tee, overflow and the shoe. I cut out a small section of the drywall ceiling and unscrewed the bathtub drain part and removed the two overflow pipe screws. I cut the existing shoe and loosened the lower tee nut. I was able to lift the tee and overflow pipe off the ABS pipe. I installed the shoe and overflow onto the tee and lowered the assembly onto the ABS pipe. The shoe was too long so I cut off 1/4". I had to go upstairs and check to see if the drain was centered in the bathtub drain hole. Shoe was still too long. I cut another 1/4" off and checked for placement. Shoe was still too long so I make a third cut of 1/4". This time the shoe was centered under the bathtub drain hole. I installed the new Everbilt drain with putty and screwed it in.

Next I went into the small enclosed area to line up the overflow pipe with the bathtub. I couldn't believe that the overflow pipe wasn't long enough. I needed a 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" coupler. I left to go home and finish the installation for another time. I bought the coupler from a plumbing supply parts store and two weeks later I was back. I screwed the coupler onto the upper tee and screwed the overflow piple onto the coupler. Everything was installed so I tightened the new 1-1/2" ABS nut onto the ABS pipe. I tightened the shoe nut onto the tee. I went into the bathtub and put the bucket and linkage into the overflow pipe. I made an adjustment to the linkage and connected it to the trip lever. I added water and checked for stoppage. I also went downstairs and checked for leaks. I saw water dripping from the drain so I tightened the drain. After I was satisfied with the bucket stopping the water, I tightened the two overflow screws and installed the drain cover. I added more water to the bathtub and pulled the lever up. I went downstairs to check for leaks and saw none. I finally had a working drain trip lever.

In 2016 I tried to install a new toe tap drain but the old 1976 shoe thread was incompatible. The new shoe's thread is the exact thread needed for the toe tap drain but I wanted to install the trip lever with bucket.

I took some pictures showing the enclosed bathtub, old tee and shoe, and new Everbilt shoe, tee, and overflow parts.

Attachments

• DSC02095.JPG
    DSC02095.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02096.JPG
    DSC02096.JPG
  • DSC02102.JPG
    DSC02102.JPG
  • DSC02085.JPG
    DSC02085.JPG
  • DSC02089.JPG
    DSC02089.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02090.JPG
    DSC02090.JPG
  • DSC02091.JPG
    DSC02091.JPG
Just a professional comment: We avoid pot-metal slip joint nuts and toss them. Chrome plated brass or non plated. Often we reuse old brass ones like you had.

Just a professional comment: We avoid pot-metal slip joint nuts and toss them. Chrome plated brass or non plated. Often we reuse old brass ones like you had.
Thank you for the input. I always appreciate your help and insight. I also prefer the chrome plated slip joint nuts and always have several available for plumbing repairs. I looked at the ones that came with the Everbilt assembly and thought of replacing them with chrome ones. Every year since 1995 I have had to disassemble the chrome plated brass pipes and galvanized steel pipes under the kitchen sink for cleaning. These pipes always clog. I use a garden house to clean them. I found that the cheap slip joint nuts break and fracture after repeated loosening and tightening so I began using just the heavier chrome plated brass slip joint nuts.

Latest posts

Back