Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike K

Reaction score
Problem: Although I have hot enough water, it just doesn't last.

I have an indirect fired water heater, TriangleTube Smart 40, eight to nine years old. Boiler is Weil-McLain CGA6PIDN natural gas.

I can't find anything wrong with the control circuits. Taco SR504-4 seems to be working properly. DHW is on Zone 4, Priority switch is ON. That seems to be working fine.

When I open any hot water faucet in the house, I initially get hot water. Not too hot, which is surprising, since the thermostat on the Smart 40 is completely maxed... in the "scald" zone. Instead, I just get what you'd expect for full on hot water.

Gradually, over time, showers would start running colder requiring you to go hotter and hotter at the faucet. Just filling up a load of laundry on HOT it goes to luke warm before it completely fills.

Just observing the Taco controller, it seems to me like it takes to long for the Smart 40 to call for hot water, and when it does, it seems to not run long enough. Which makes me think that there's something going on with the Smart 40 thermostat/sensing bulb. I would think that with the setting all the way up to "scald", it would be constantly be calling for hot water, and constantly running to keep the water that hot. But it looks like the opposite is happening.

I don't detect any air in the system. Everything runs quietly when the circulators are pumping.

Full disclosure: I have been remiss in keeping up with regular cleaning/maintenance. I've never done anything with the water heater (which has run flawlessly until recently). The boiler has no issues as far as I can see. It heats the house fine.

I appreciate any replies.

Latest posts

Back