Transition steel to pvc in fixed space

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck Riley

Reaction score
Pictures attached. I have a steel or iron pipe coming out of a concrete floor in a small space. It is 2 1/4" o.d. with 3/16" walls. It has a 1 1/2" pvc liner inside. This is the main water coming into the building. The old valve froze and cracked. I'm trying to replace it. On top is copper. I have this fixed space, about 12", to work between steel and copper. The copper to pvc transition on top is not a problem.

The bottom is my problem, from the steel pipe to the pvc. I tried to slip a piece of pvc inside the pvc in the steel pipe but I could not find a tight enough fit. I wrapped the male piece with pvc tape until it was a snug and large enough diameter, primed, glued and inserted it. It's kind of holding but I want to tear it all apart and make the steel to pvc transition permanent with no drips. Any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• A-Frame main 2.jpg
    A-Frame main 2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 12
  • A-Frame main 1.jpg
    A-Frame main 1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 11
It's hard to see but I had a similar issues along time, at my brother in law's, the fitting I used was made by water works, I believe, it's a coupling with a rubber gasket and brass nut that thread together on the inside of the brass fitting are like teeth that dig into your existing steel pipe after it's threaded together there is a small threaded stud and nut that have to be tightened this is on the union nut,you won't find this at home depot, plumbing supply house or someplace that sells municipal water main parts when you see it it's pretty self explanatory, BUT you must be SURE what your connecting to is in good shape, I connected back onto brass, if there are threads there cut them off file the pipe down,and start with smooth levelly cut pipe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back