TPR Valve Leaking at THREADS

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brisbane

Reaction score
Hi,

Great forum!

I have a 50 gallon GE Rheem electric water heater which was working fine until it started leaking from the THREADS of the Temperature/Pressure relief valve. I've tried to remove the TPR with liquid wrench and a large pipe wrench, even put heat on it with a propane torch, but it refuses to budge.

What would cause it to leak at the threads? A crack? Corrosion?

The water heater is at least 15 years old.

Is it possible to use a sealant around the threads to keep the water from leaking out, or is there too much pressure? I can see the threads so I can apply some sealant to them where they join the metal top of the tank.

If the sealant idea is no go, how can I get the TPR valve out to inspect it?

Thank you!

Well my first suggestion would be to make sure you're turning it the right way and give it hell someone spun it in there I'm sure you can spin it out

Reactions: SHR
If the WH is at least fifteen years old, I would suspect extreme corrosion, especially if a fitting is leaking @ the threads.

You are going to have to man handle it with a bigger wrench.

Once out, use a thread chaser on the tank fitting, install a new TPR and RectumSeal it really good.

If it continues leaking @ that point, I would suspect tank replacement is due.

I agree extreme corrosion. 15 years is past the life expectancy of your water heater. I would replace the water heater right now, rather than spending your time and expense monkeying around with a new TPR valve.

Thanks for the replies.

Well, I got it out finally! The threads look good, on the valve and inside the tank. No corrosion, just some leftover sealant, I think. But when I was cleaning out the tank threads with a toothpick, I noticed the toothpick would stick in one area. Upon closer inspection, there was a vertical line going up the threads in one spot, on the tank threads. Maybe a crack? Very small line, and the toothpick sticks when being dragged over it.

Don't mess around wasting time and getting more frustrated. Your water heater is worn out, replace the water heater!

I went out and bought myself a brand new Rheem 50 gallon Performance water heater from home depot. Got it home and noticed a soft clanking sound from the top of the box when I rock it back and forth. Is that normal?

Thanks

If something's broken return at Home Depot trust me they will accept anything and in any condition without a receipt

Last edited:
If something's broken return at Home Depot trust me they will accept anything and in any condition without a receipt

Problem is I won't be able to tell if it's broken until I hook it all up and try it. I asked the "plumbing" person at HD if the clanking was normal and didn't say yes or no, just said it was probably not broken. I went over to the Rheem 50 gallon units on the shelf and rocked them, and they made the same clank sound, but not as loud.

Well, I went ahead and installed the new water heater with the clanking sound.

Filled it up with water.

It has a slow drip from the opening around the plastic drain pipe. It's not dripping out the actual pipe. It's dripping from the bottom of the hole that the drain pipe sticks out of.

The valve on the drain pipe is closed tightly.

No visible leaks at top of the unit.

The drain pipe is not centered in the hole. It looks bent to one side about a quarter inch.

My guess is that that the drain pipe was struck at some time and has a small crack in it.

I haven't even hooked up the electricity to it yet. If I do, the pressure will increase and probably leak faster?

Any options besides returning it to Home Depot? Some easy fix? Buy a different brand?

Update!

I noticed that the plastic drain pipe has a hex shaped place for a wrench. I put a wrench on it and it was quite loose and easy to turn. I turned it about 180 degrees to see if it would tighten, but it never did. Seems to be stripped. Draining all 50 gallons out and will see what I can do with it then.

Thanks for any ideas.

Back