tpr plumbing for 2.5 gal elect w/h

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianedebuda

Reaction score
Undersink mini w/h; cannot run tpr to outside; only drain available is pvc. How to handle? Will not be inspected, but want it safe.

Last edited:
I know. Just trying to indicate that there's no available exit to outside. House is on a slab; location is in a center room with halls all around so no access for gravity feed to outside. Maybe a metal bucket or something like a higher-than-normal drain pan?

We see this often. We will replace it with a Chronomite point of use water heater.
no storage. no t&p required. good for a hand sink. If the cold water is cold cold it will only heat it up some. a 210v unit will get a bit hotter.

Or just put a tin can under the t&p drain

just put a tin can under the t&p drain
Have visions of water/steam coming out of the tpr pipe, shooting into the bucket & knocking it over or bouncing all over the cabinet.:D

I'd originally looked at putting a tankless here, but wanted to stay with 120v 'cause 220v breakers take a lot of space in the panel. But the reviews really are all over the place - from love to hate. And most are names that I'm not familiar with - like the Chronomite. I actually looked at those last night online, but the specs on the models are so close that's it's tough to choose best suited. Most of the "big" names in water heaters seem to go with the mini-tanks, but maybe that's 'cause they're most like the rest of their product lines.

I'm on a well. "Cold" water here is usually in the 70s, so wouldn't take much to make it feel warm.

Last edited:
That's really what I'm thinking too. Just trying to make sure I'm not overlooking an option for mini-tank tpr.

Going to have a 220v 4 gpm tankless in the kitchen only about 15 ft away. The subfloor there is actually plywood on 1-1/2" skeeds sitting on the slab. Could run a pipe under the subfloor. Otherwise it'd have to be above through the floor joists, so travel distance will be more like 35 ft because of the walls. At this point, doing the high routing plus an option for a 120v tankless at the sink looks like my best choice.

Appreciate the views and opinions. Thanks.

Last edited:
I know. Just trying to indicate that there's no available exit to outside. House is on a slab; location is in a center room with halls all around so no access for gravity feed to outside. Maybe a metal bucket or something like a higher-than-normal drain pan?

do as David suggested, you said drain pan, it has to have a drain also.
outside or into a floor drain

so.....add a floor drain, under the cabinet, or, beside it

Last edited:
Back