Toto Drake

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzjohn

Reaction score
After reading dozens of recommendations and praise for the Toto Drake, I installed one and am not pleased with it.

Because of the very low bowl water level, solid waste leaves deposits on the dry areas and the flush does not wash them away.

I've only installed pressure-assisted toilets in the past 20 years and this problem occured very rarely. This is my first and probably last foray into gravity toilets unless someone can recommend one with low water consumption, a good flush and a higher water level.

I had a friend with the same complaints.

We installed Gerber pressure assisted and I haven’t heard a peep in over two years.

Drake Two-Piece Elongated Dual Flush 1.6 and 0.8 GPF DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH Toilet

Model CST746CSMG#01
That's strange that anything would stick. It has sanigloss on it. Maybe there is something not right with the #2 flush. I have not recv'd any complaints on these.

**EDIT ** WAS LOOKING AT WRONG MODEL

Last edited:
I think some Toto toilets have adjustable bowl refill, maybe you can try to raise the level of the water spot.

The Drake ......

If you can replace the flush valve to a standard 3” type that uses a flapper (if it doesn’t already have this ) you can get a flapper that will flush the entire tank of water..

You can get a high rate refill ballcock and refill the bowl to max level.

This will make the toilet flush the best it ever will.

The other low flow toilet I would throw in the dumpster. Or ship it to Terry.

Just googled that model, many complaints that it is terrible, almost no water in bowl, poop sticks and needs brushing off, and the toilet does not flush well.

Sounds like time to return it if possible.

I just cant believe all the hype this brand gets.
I think some Toto toilets have adjustable bowl refill, maybe you can try to raise the level of the water spot.
There is only a tank water level adjustment. I think the water spot level is controlled by the trap height in the ceramic. I tested this by pouring water into the bowl and observing that it would not go above a certain level.

The Drake ......

If you can replace the flush valve to a standard 3” type that uses a flapper (if it doesn’t already have this ) you can get a flapper that will flush the entire tank of water..

You can get a high rate refill ballcock and refill the bowl to max level.

This will make the toilet flush the best it ever will.

The other low flow toilet I would throw in the dumpster. Or ship it to Terry.
I got this because of the dual flush feature. If flush valve is replaced, then the dual flush feature is gone, right? I wonder if more water would even help. After multiple flushes, smears are still there.

I got this because of the dual flush feature. If flush valve is replaced, then the dual flush feature is gone, right? I wonder if more water would even help. After multiple flushes, smears are still there.
I understand, I was just suggesting options other than sending it back.

If you’re not happy with it and it’s operating as the factory intended, remove it.

I don’t think Toto is worth the money. Maybe a few models, but not nearly all of them.,

I can't believe all the hype and praise this toilet gets. I guess advertising does work :(

There’s a plumbing forum on the internet that if you bad mouth TOTO you will be removed in short order.

Especially if your opinions become popular on other subjects. It’s not good for their toto toilet sales.

I understand, I was just suggesting options other than sending it back.

If you’re not happy with it and it’s operating as the factory intended, remove it.

I don’t think Toto is worth the money. Maybe a few models, but not nearly all of them.,
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for your suggestion. Thanks for the responses.

Toto makes many ( 100 at least) different toilets. They range from 500 grams per flush to the best-range 1000 grams/pf.
Just picking TOTO means nothing. Every mfr has dogs.
ALWAYS USE THE PERFORMANCE GUIDE: https://www.map-testing.com/assets/files/2021-03-11-All_tank-type_toilets.pdf
It is easy to choose their top performing toilets including the Entrada which costs me $150. and flushes 1,000 gramspf @ 1.28 gallons per flush.
I won't install a customer's toilet unless they pick 1k gram toilet. Waste of my time.

I install whatever crappy toilet the homeowner will drag up if they’ll pay me when I’m finished.

Extending sympathies. We are going through similar dissatisfaction with a set of ADA Eco Drakes in a new house. Support hasn't been very supportive so far. Our issue is also film (poor glazing) that builds up quickly. Toilet looks "dingy" in a short time, doesn't look glossy. One doesn't flush as well as another, and the ceramic glaze on the top of the tank isn't covered fully by the lid. The dealbreaker is the glazing on the interior of the bowl. Without a smooth surface, a biofilm can grow and debris can attach.

Back