Torch tips

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Like many plumbers, i use a hose less Turbo Torch to fit a propane/map gas cylinder. Specifically, the self ignited turbo torch st-33.

Ive gone thru 2 of these things in 2 years, not very happy with them. The only saving grace is that they are compact and easy to solder in tight places.

What does everyone here use? Can you reccomend me a different tip? I have a B-Tank to get my by for now but i like to keep that strictly for hvac/r work.

We also use map gas. But we use the kit that has a 5' hose. The tank can be clipped on your belt. The thing with map gas is that you can't use the torch with a reduced flam or it will burn up the tip. We have been using these for quit some time without any failures. But I must say we are using torches less and less each year. (we do mostly repair and remolding) If your doing new work and using copper I don't think they will last as long for you. Back in the day when we were doing new work our soldering was done with B tanks.

John

I use a burnz-o-matic Self ignighting torch, like the one you do that screws directlly on the tank. I use map gas usually and propane on the ocasions it calls for it such as soldering a hanzgrohe tub spout onto a spout where the tub surround is acrylic ( also with a flame blanket ) so as not to introduce too much heat to the acrylic. I've had my current torch for 3 years and its still going strong, it has been used for extensive work in commercial where i solderd all day and now in service where I solder at least a few times a week. I also have a smaller self ignighting torch that is a smaller head ( pencil torch ) for tight areas. I have used B tanks, but prefer mapp as it is a hotter burning gas and less cumbersome.

Magically, my st-33 started lighting again today. Still looking for a replacement though!

Had a chat with our wholesaler today, not much out there in the torch world that swivels like the st-33. Guess im stuck using the piece of crap for a while.

Latest posts

Back