Too late to flush hot water heater?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkcx2b

Reaction score
We have lived in our home for 10 years now (which was built new). We have never flushed the hot water heater and did not know one should. I have recently learned about this and was about to flush it when I read that I should NOT flush a water heater that old that has never been flushed as it will likely result in a leak and then I will have to replace it.

So - should I flush it for the first time at 10 years or just leave it alone?

In case a little more info is needed: we live in suburban Idaho and I'm unaware of this being a hard water area; we do not have a water softener.

Good advice will be appreciated.

No don't flush it disturbing all that sentiment at this point is going to be more bad than good

You're approaching the life expectancy of your tank anyway. When you do replace it, flush the new one annually

manufactures recommend flushing but I say don't do it.
you will end up with a leaking drain cock. If you are getting some knocking and banging when the heater is heating means you have an excessive amount of sediments on the bottom.
draining it won't help much.

HOWEVER if you are so inclined to clean it, the best result would be to completely remove the heater. Take it out where you can make a mess.
Remove the drain cock. get a length of 3/8" copper tubing and adapt it to a garden hose. First flush as much loose stuff out with the garden hose attached to the cold inlet. The use the tube and stick it into the drain cock opening and work it around inside. Tilt the heater like the Tower of Pisa.

I did that to a 10 yr old heater when I bought my home. It lasted for another 10 years before I had to replace it

Is the WH gas or electric?

If you decide to drain, once empty replace the nylon drain cock with a full bore 3/4" ball valve (and you transfer it to a new WH).

Also shown below is also a way to back flush the WH if the sediment has blocked the drain valve.

Water Heater- Full Flow Drain Valve.jpg

Water Heater- Pressure Flushing.jpg.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to leave it alone. It still works fine and we have never had any problems with it, but I have noticed it pops and cracks while working. I'll consider any remaining life a bonus and start fresh with a new one when the time comes with regular flushings.

Latest posts

Back