Toilet Woes: American Standard Titan

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell-DIY-Guy

Reaction score
So, I am being a nice guy and renovating a friend's bathroom. They chose an American Standard Titan toilet. Brought it home, got the bowl set and locked to the flange, and then proceeded to mount the tank. Got it all tight, turned on the water slowly, and it filled quickly. Flushed fine. Cleaning up, I noticed a few drips of water on the underside by the fill valve. I tightened everything, and then noticed the drip-drip-drip from under the tank. Oh, *&^%. Well, I drain the tank, take it apart, and I don't like the flimsy tank bolt washers. Went and bought a new set, put it all back together...still, the drip drip drip. Now I'm really angry.

I drain the tank and take it all apart AGAIN, and in bright light I note some hairline crack between the holes in the tank for the left hand bolt and the fill valve. DANG! Water is dripping under the washers through this tiny crack. Upon closer examination looks like there was some swipe of something on it from the factory. Maybe glaze that was unfired? Who knows.

My friend went and bought a new toilet, we just took the new tank out of the box, and all was well. Added about 3 hours to the project.

Then, as we are about to button up this project, we put the cover from the first toilet on the tank. Wow! a small but noticeable black ash chunk in the ceramic glaze! So we also took the top from the second box. Not happy with American Standard Quality control.

Back