Toilet wobble

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelbydz

Reaction score
Hi All,
I own a manufactured home in Maine. The previous owner did a lot of "fixes", which included remodeling a bathroom. We've owned it a year and the whole time, the toilet has wobbled. Recently, my wife has noticed dirtt water leaking from the base at the back.

I pulled the toilet off and everything looked ok. But I noticed he had used a piece of wood to shim the toilet from the back. It looked like 1/8" or 1/4". It fell apart when I took it out.

I noticed that the flange is bolted to the finished floor rather than the sub floor. He had also replaced the flooring with that vinyl plank. That's only 1/8" or 3/16" thick.

I installed one of the green foam rings and bolted the toilet back down. It's still rocking. I had to add a bunch of plastic shims. The toilet is now level, but still rocks. I'd like it to sit flush on the floor.

I feel like the flange sits too high. I also know the floor isn't perfectly level there too. Should the flange be flush with the finished floor? Or did I do something wrong when reinstalling it?

Thanks

Get it seated properly, plastic shim if needed, then place a bead of caulk at the base on the left, front and right sides, leaving the back open, and let it sit for a day before using it.

Get it seated properly, plastic shim if needed, then place a bead of caulk at the base on the left, front and right sides, leaving the back open, and let it sit for a day before using it.

Thanks havasu,

My ultimate question, I think is, how do I properly seat it? What could be keeping it from getting flush to the ground?

Thanks

Many factors could cause this. Without pics, we could make a long list of reasons.
Flange too high.
Floor too low.
Floor not flat.
Poor tiling around toilet.
Porcelain imperfection on base of toilet.
Too much wax.
Wrong sizing.
Are you applying pressure when seating toilet?
Was flange cleaned properly?

By the way, I'm not a plumber, but love flooring and have installed over 50 - 100 toilets, and have yet to find a toilet which sits perfectly. If it did, I myself would be concerned that I don't have enough wax. I place on the flange, sit on the toilet and wiggle to seat it as good as possible, then shim, then secure the bolts snug (but not too tight to break off the ears), then confirm it is level, then caulk or grout, which ever looks the best.

Hi All,
I own a manufactured home in Maine. The previous owner did a lot of "fixes", which included remodeling a bathroom. We've owned it a year and the whole time, the toilet has wobbled. Recently, my wife has noticed dirtt water leaking from the base at the back.

I pulled the toilet off and everything looked ok. But I noticed he had used a piece of wood to shim the toilet from the back. It looked like 1/8" or 1/4". It fell apart when I took it out.

I noticed that the flange is bolted to the finished floor rather than the sub floor. He had also replaced the flooring with that vinyl plank. That's only 1/8" or 3/16" thick.

I installed one of the green foam rings and bolted the toilet back down. It's still rocking. I had to add a bunch of plastic shims. The toilet is now level, but still rocks. I'd like it to sit flush on the floor.

I feel like the flange sits too high. I also know the floor isn't perfectly level there too. Should the flange be flush with the finished floor? Or did I do something wrong when reinstalling it?

Thanks
flange could be to high
flange not secured to floor properly
wood under flange needs replaced
flange is broken
floor os way out of flat.

if none of these condition exist, the toilet will be proper

Thanks everyone. I'll dig into it more and attach pictures if I can't figure it out.

Back