Toilet will not flush

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nunezxmx

Reaction score
My toilet wifi not flush unless the handle is held down. The water level and chain length look fine. The flapper has also been changed. The part that the flapper covers looks a little strange. Please help. It's driving me crazy.

image.jpg

Is the over flow rectangular?
Is this a Kohler I piece toilet?

If so did you get the right flapper.

If this flapper came with a black hard plastic rod that slides into the back of the overflow you have to make sure the cams on the ends are pointed in the right direction.

But you may just need to adjust the chain or replace the lever handle

The overflow is rectangular and it is a Kohler 1 piece toilet. No rod on the flapper and I have adjusted the chain to almost every link. It looks like the flapper isn't raising high enough to stay open so the toilet flushes.

Had a similar problem at my daughter's house. The previous owner had installed the flapper without removing the circular piece that is used on a small number of toilets. Naturally, the flapper wouldn't stay open on its own. FWIW.

I think the flapper is just not raising high enough. Could it be the handle?

Nunezxmx-- It could be the handle.
Try watching the flapper when you press the handle down.
Some handles sometimes have plastic parts inside them that break so even though the handle may move on the outside, the inner part that grabs and is supposed to make the chain lift does not grab. I had that happen with the lever on my toilet.

Try manually pulling up on the chain to lift the flapper to see if that makes it flush properly, then examine the lever. Does it feel more loose than it used to?

I bought a new handle lever and will try installing it tomorrow. The one that is in the toilet now doesn't seem to have a great range of motion. Wish me luck.

I bought a new handle lever and will try installing it tomorrow. The one that is in the toilet now doesn't seem to have a great range of motion. Wish me luck.

Let us know if it works. Good luck!

The flapper is probably not up long enough to let enough water go in the bowl. Might want to get an adjustable flapper.

Back