Toilet tank not filling; weird situation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauryFrench

Reaction score
Good day everyone, first time poster. I wish I had found this forum before some of my other problems!

We have an upstairs toilet that after flushing fills incredibly slow. It might take it two or three hours to truly fill up. Now the weird part; if I turn the valve all the way off, then start to reopen it I get the water hammer noise and shake and when I continue to open the valve the hammer goes away and the toilet fills normally. What gives? My tester mentality from work, I can "reproduce this issue" 100 percent of the time.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Maury

It sounds as though you have a loose washer in the supply valve.

If it is a threaded or compression type valve, I would just replace the valve. If it is soldered on, you could try taking the valve apart and seeing if you can fix it.

It sounds as though you have a loose washer in the supply valve.

If it is a threaded or compression type valve, I would just replace the valve. If it is soldered on, you could try taking the valve apart and seeing if you can fix it.

That is an interesting idea, especially since I replaced the guts of the valve about a year ago. It seems the Fly by night builder of many houses in My neighborhood used supply valves only available on Venus, so I had to buy other valves, take the guts out and put back in the valve I have. I will check it tomorrow. Thanks!

To the original poster: Did replacing the supply valve fix this problem? I'm having the EXACT same symptoms and issues. Turning the valve off, then back on again fixes the problem.

It's interesting that you asked because I just changed the valve this past weekend. Changing the valve (well the guts of it anyway) took care of the water hammer problem but not the fill problem. I think now I have to go with the parts in the toilet. When I turn the valve off and back on, the water flows full speed out of the filler down into the pipe in the middle of the toilet. When it finishes filling, it cuts off rather abruptly. Subsequent flushes without closing/reopening the valve and water just drips out of a different part. I will post more after some more investigation.

Follow-up: As stated in the last post changing the valve on the water supply to the toilet eliminated the hammer condition, but the toilet still did not fill without closing and opening the valve. So I installed a new Whateveryoucallit in the toilet to refill and it works great now.

Good day everyone, first time poster. I wish I had found this forum before some of my other problems!

We have an upstairs toilet that after flushing fills incredibly slow. It might take it two or three hours to truly fill up. Now the weird part; if I turn the valve all the way off, then start to reopen it I get the water hammer noise and shake and when I continue to open the valve the hammer goes away and the toilet fills normally. What gives? My tester mentality from work, I can "reproduce this issue" 100 percent of the time.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Maury

Try checking your toilets valve if it needs to be replaced and also check if there is there is something wrong with the way its connected to your toilet...

Back