Toilet supply hose plastic VS metal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themarkg

Reaction score
I see toilet hoses (eg. from FluidMaster) with both plastic and stainless steel nuts on the toilet end. My toilet has plastic connector threads. Can I use the hose with the stainless nut if I thread it carefully?

Make sure you get the right type of connector.
I have not seen toilet connectors with a metal nut on the toilet end in a long time, but I suppose they are out there.

Don’t confuse what you are looking at for very similar faucet connectors, which do have metal nuts at both ends.

HouseDoc, thanks for your speedy reply. Can I ask why people would use the hose with the plastic tightening nut instead of the metal nut then?

I had a house once where the plastic nut cracked in an upstairs bathroom while i was on vacation. Was a total disaster. When the house was repaired I switched to a FluidMaster toilet valvue that had a brass shank and used a hose with a metal nut. Those cost like $9.99 VS about $6.99 for the regular valve. But in my current house the toilets have a pressure assist flushing system.

The valve I used was something like this in case other are interested:
FluidMaster Pro valve with brass shank

Thanks Jeff. Amazon doesn't sell those and that's not something I would want to purchase from Amazon in case it was used return. I'm very careful now with water due to the massive flooding that occurred in my house.

Back