Toilet spins but does not dump...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojodwolf

Reaction score
After taking care of number two my toilet often twirls and twirls and does not drop. Second time it often will do it but not always everything. Number one, never a problem. The water level is fine. I replaced the flapper. I snaked the drain. Not sure what else there is?

It sounds like No. 2 may slow it down so it doesn't complete the siphon effect.
You may want to try a laxative.:D
The next time it happens try a plunger. It probably getting hung up temporarily in the toilet trap itself.
Also, make sure you water level in the tank is within 1/2" or so of the overflow, for maximum flush volume.

Last edited:
Don't need a plunger.. The second flush usually works. Water level is good.

Recommended plunger based on "Second time it often will do it but not always everything."
Okay. (Assume you are talking tank level)
Happens to me occasionally but not with the swirling.

On first flush, when the swirling stops, does it leave your bowl level below normal?

Make sure the flushing holes under the rim of the toilet bowl are all clear.

"Although you're not often aware of them, the water jet openings on the underside of the toilet bowl rim can become dirty and clogged with bacterial and mineral deposits. Colonies of bacteria forming here can become a health concern, and mineral deposits clogging the toilet jets can interfere with the flow of water."

After the first flush it's left above normal but not like a stuffed drain high. The flushing holes seem good.. it twirls and twirls but neglects to do the drop. Just watched the flush and there is plenty of water feeding the toilet.

In order for the water level to be left above normal would mean that there is something stopping it from going over the weir. Like something is stuck there until the next flush pushes it. See toilet dwg. showing weir height and water surface.
toilet-cut-out-diagram.jpg

I snaked and snaked ?? Maybe partial blockage ? How to deal with that?

I snaked and snaked ?? Maybe partial blockage ? How to deal with that?
You missed what I was saying.
I was referring to that temporary blockage due to No.2. As you had said, "Second time it often will do it[clear it] but not always everything."
I was not inferring that it stays blocked. As you had said, "Number one, never a problem."

Are you the only person that uses the toilet for No. 2?
Just thinking that it may not happen to everyone or does it?

Wife does and I don't believe she has issues... Even with floaters it has this problem. I don't use excessive paper. So why should there be temporary blockage often.

Okay, well that should tell you something.
My experience is, it's the firmness/stiffness of the material being flushed that has a problem making those tight turns through the toilets trapway.
Try a couple of days of eating frozen yogurt and report back.:rolleyes:

EDIT: And/or size.

Quantity might be the difference.. a topic that has not been discussed on the home front... I do not believe I have change but the toilets reaction sure has. Been using it for 12 years. It always seems weird... cause it swirls and swirls and floats and floats but just does not swallow.. :eek:

Still could be a partial log jam, sitting just past where your toilet auger can reach.

Get a six foot long auger, Ridgid makes one, Home Depot and others sell it.

Could be a Matchbox car, hair curler, makeup bottle, lipstick, etc, combined with paper and poop.
Piss flush goes right by the partial opening.
But mega-dumps cork up the hole.

Enough bragging, let’s stick to plumbing stuff here, haha.

Just kidding!

But actually, you can take the toilet off and run a longer snake down there.

But that is lots of work, or expensive to hire out.

You can make a home-made device that lets you snake right through the toilet.

Buy a two foot long piece of two inch pvc.
Cut a 45 degree bevel on one end.
With trial and error, gradually build up the beveled end with duct tape, until it fits tightly when jammed into the bottom of the toilet.
It might take a whole roll, but make the wraps gradually more loose and twisty, so there is some give to the whole thing.

With the bevel cut end facing up, where the snake will have to exit, jam that pipe into the toilet.

Lay the two foot pipe down onto the rim of the bowl, and duct tape the high end down onto the rim.

Now you can safely run a heavier manual drain snake right through that pipe, into the toilet trap and down the drain.
Without scratching up the toilet.

I have thought of trying to patent this invention, but for now, try it for free!

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

If there is a partial drain clog, it is holding water and almost full of water from the clog back to the toilet.

So when he flushes solids, the remaining space in the drain fills up with water.

Well I suppose that is possible.
That would mean the blockage is just under 1.6 gallons away.;)

What I want to know is what happened to the "New Smileys" and the "Holidays".

Back